Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: No disk utility in 7.0.3?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    No disk utility in 7.0.3?

    I was checking out Knoppix 7.0.3 and much to my dismay, found that a feature I had long relied on (the "Disk Utility", used for reading SMART data and estimating the mechanical condition of a drive) seems to have been removed. Is there a new program for this and it was removed due to redundancy, or was it removed due to space constraints?

    I'm not much of a linux coder, but is there some way I could slip this into K7, or do I simply have to revert to 6.7?

    Thank you in advance for the help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20
    Somebody running 7.0.3 should confirm whether Disk Utility has been removed, but if you want to add this or any other package to K7 without using a persistent image, I suggest you start with a look at this thread: Ramdisk and partial remastering in Knoppix 7

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20
    Good news for you lad, and anyone else who likes Palimpsest Disk Utility.

    Playing around with 7.0.3 DVD, I noticed that it is actually included, but for some reason doesn't appear in the System Tools menu as it did in previous versions of Knoppix DVD. So you have to run it from a terminal:

    Code:
    sudo palimpsest &
    For the record, note that both the CD and DVD have a good suite of hard drive tools that are S.M.A.R.T. compatible. E.g. smartctl and smartd, udisks (Disk Utility is a graphical interface for udisks), and others.
    Last edited by lapidu; 07-25-2012 at 05:23 AM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20

    Disk Utility is Available in 7.0.3 DVD

    Just after posting the above, I found Disk Utility under the Accessories menu in Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD!

    So, you can run it without resorting to the terminal, directly from the Live DVD. Problem solved.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, lapidu.

    Does palimpsest provide any greater capability or insight than gparted?
    At first glance gparted seems to have a more intuitive gui than palimpsest,
    for me anyway.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20
    Hello utu!

    In comparing GParted to Palimpsest, I suppose you are looking at disk partition/format capability. I haven't used Palimpsest for that, or much else, so I can't really say whether it offers much more; GParted has always served me well as a partitioning front-end. I might have a closer look at Disk Utility one of these days and report back if I find something interesting in a comparison between the two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99