Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems with the window manager.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Post Problems with the window manager.

    Hi. Yesterday i downloaded Knoppix 7.0.3 CD and DVD versions. I don't remember nothing wrong with the CD version, but a few minutes ago i tested the DVD version. Apparently it works as expected, except for one thing: The classic window's options are not there! I mean minimize, maximize, close, etc. I can't resize the windows either. Maybe a graphic drivers problem? I don't know... I tried searching an option to activate these things but i didn't find nothing.
    Please help!
    The system specs: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual 5600+ 2.91 GHZ, 1,87gb ram, Nvidia 6150SE Nforce 430 512mb. I bought the machine back in 2009 and actually runs fine hosts system, Slackware 1337.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35
    While I have the 7.01-DVD (just burned+tested it today), the problem is that the title bar is missing on all windows ! You can get the essential functions (restore/close/minimize) by right-clicking on the window's tile on the taskbar. I only spent fifteen mins w/ the new Knoppix disc, before giving up on it.

    Personally, I find Knoppix is becoming more-and-more eccentric and less usable. I did spend most of my fifteen mins trying to find out how to restore the title bar, by browsing thru the various configuration applets, but no joy.

    At this point, I'm only using Knoppix for its still awesome hardware detection/support facilities. After this, I can't continue to consider it as one of my favorite distros. Unfortunate....

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    the problem is that the title bar is missing on all windows
    It's a bug of 3d compiz functions. Therefore I use the cheatcode "no3d" as standard setting.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    It's a bug of 3d compiz functions. Therefore I use the cheatcode "no3d" as standard setting.
    Hmmm....Thanks for the heads-up. I hope this code also addresses (disables) my other window manager irritations: exploding windows [on close] and pager/mouse gestures. I certainly wouldn't mind making a custom DVD w/ the 'no3d' code embedded in this case. Thanks again....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20
    ...minimize, maximize, close, etc. I can't resize the windows either...
    When windows appear like this, as though missing their outer border, or you have other problems with 3D functions, you can quickly fix this by restarting Compiz 3D Desktop, if you don't want to disable 3D functions all together.

    In the menu, under Knoppix sub-menu (or under Preferences on older versions) select (Re-) start 3D desktop compiz and in a moment the problem is solved.

    You can explore and change the Compiz features, including the hotkeys that activate them, by opening CompizConfig Settings Manager under the Preferences submenu.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I think (but I'm not sure) missing windows borders may also occur without compiz. Occasionally it occurs on starting X, and I don't think I have ever had to restart X more than once (CTRL-ALT-BACKSP) to get it up correctly.
    If you have compiz running, it's easy to go into the settings manager and disable animation, wobbling etc. I always do, but I may use the cube thing. Wish I had a simpler alternative to compiz for doing that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



2026 NEW SGIN 15.6

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C

$333.99