-
Problems with the window manager.
Hi. Yesterday i downloaded Knoppix 7.0.3 CD and DVD versions. I don't remember nothing wrong with the CD version, but a few minutes ago i tested the DVD version. Apparently it works as expected, except for one thing: The classic window's options are not there! I mean minimize, maximize, close, etc. I can't resize the windows either. Maybe a graphic drivers problem? I don't know... I tried searching an option to activate these things but i didn't find nothing.
Please help!
The system specs: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual 5600+ 2.91 GHZ, 1,87gb ram, Nvidia 6150SE Nforce 430 512mb. I bought the machine back in 2009 and actually runs fine hosts system, Slackware 1337.
Thanks.
-
While I have the 7.01-DVD (just burned+tested it today), the problem is that the title bar is missing on all windows ! You can get the essential functions (restore/close/minimize) by right-clicking on the window's tile on the taskbar. I only spent fifteen mins w/ the new Knoppix disc, before giving up on it.
Personally, I find Knoppix is becoming more-and-more eccentric and less usable. I did spend most of my fifteen mins trying to find out how to restore the title bar, by browsing thru the various configuration applets, but no joy.
At this point, I'm only using Knoppix for its still awesome hardware detection/support facilities. After this, I can't continue to consider it as one of my favorite distros. Unfortunate....
-
the problem is that the title bar is
missing on all windows
It's a bug of 3d compiz functions. Therefore I use the cheatcode "no3d" as standard setting.
-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
It's a bug of 3d compiz functions. Therefore I use the cheatcode "no3d" as standard setting.
Hmmm....Thanks for the heads-up. I hope this code also addresses (disables) my other window manager irritations: exploding windows [on close] and pager/mouse gestures. I certainly wouldn't mind making a custom DVD w/ the 'no3d' code embedded in this case. Thanks again....
-
...minimize, maximize, close, etc. I can't resize the windows either...
When windows appear like this, as though missing their outer border, or you have other problems with 3D functions, you can quickly fix this by restarting Compiz 3D Desktop, if you don't want to disable 3D functions all together.
In the menu, under Knoppix sub-menu (or under Preferences on older versions) select (Re-) start 3D desktop compiz and in a moment the problem is solved.
You can explore and change the Compiz features, including the hotkeys that activate them, by opening CompizConfig Settings Manager under the Preferences submenu.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think (but I'm not sure) missing windows borders may also occur without compiz. Occasionally it occurs on starting X, and I don't think I have ever had to restart X more than once (CTRL-ALT-BACKSP) to get it up correctly.
If you have compiz running, it's easy to go into the settings manager and disable animation, wobbling etc. I always do, but I may use the cube thing. Wish I had a simpler alternative to compiz for doing that.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP EliteBook 840 G5 Laptop Intel Core i5 7200U 8GB RAM – No HDD
$64.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor
$399.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98