Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Using Knoppix 7 to restore Win 7 to ASUS Laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2

    Using Knoppix 7 to restore Win 7 to ASUS Laptop

    I salvaged my granddaighter's old laptop as she was unable to get Win 7 (64bit) to boot. The screen after the start up is blank except for a blinking dash in the upper left corner. I was told that Knoppix could help to restore the system's OS (Windows 7 Home Edition). I purchase version 7.0.3 and have been able to boot up with Linux, but I'm not sure what steps I need to do now. I know I can get Linux running. but am unfamilier with the Linux OS. I don't have any experience with laptops.
    My computer runs Win XP, but I do have a Win 7 disk that is brand new. I was given this OS in case I wanted to get rid of Win XP at some future date by the repair Techs that usually do work on my personal computers. I have built a couple of systems in the past, but now at 77 yrs old, I am happy to just be able to use them! I do have a wireless modem which was installed with my last upgrade, in case I can get this laptop running. Any help would be appreciated.
    kenmist

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I was told that Knoppix could help to restore the system's OS (Windows 7 Home Edition).
    You cannot restore Windows with Knoppix. How to restore Windows you may ask in a Windows Forum.

    Exception: For example a file like "explorer.exe" has been renamed by a malicious program, and you know what to do, you can reset with Knoppix the wrong name to the right name. If all went well Windows will start again.

    The benefit of Knoppix is the ability to save important personal files from Windows to an external drive if the Windows drive isn't damaged.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2
    Then my purchase was a waste of money?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Why purchase? You can download Knoppix for free and burn it to CD/DVD
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz) picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)

$75.00



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99