Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: hdd install quagmire

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey USA
    Posts
    17
    Hi,

    It seems that I have offended you. I offer you my sincere apologies, you possess greater knowledge base on Knoppix than I ever hope to possess. It seems an easy solution now, but we both missed the boat on the BIOS. For one thing, I could boot from the ISOLINUX CD (the big clue was the LVM module), but hdd install was a different matter. I am sure that 8.4, 32, and 137 GB hurdles are still out there. I posted a solution, and I am installing Knoppix, BTW. In SuSE there's no need to edit /etc/resolv.conf manually, in fact when I tried in Vim, I could not write to the file. Everything is handled by YaST2 under Network. When I config'd Knoppix kppp, I had to try each of the different devices for the internal modem. In YaST2, the script auto detects and configures everything, all I needed to add was the ISP dial-up number and password. I couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Joseph Schiller

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Never heard of a Commate mobo before. Sounds like a nuissance. Of course I would know about nuissance mobo's since I have an IBM S30 (whatever that is) and interstingly enough I have never been able to get SuSE installed on that box or I'd have tried it aeons ago. Thanks for posting your solution.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    4

    Re: hdd install quagmire

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Hopefully you can get it to finish installing.
    For the heck of it, I tried to install again and it worked. My problem with install appeared to be the power management screen shut off as you first suspected. During the install on my machine, the screen shuts off for power management when the install is ~98% complete. I caught it right at that point and refreshed the display with a tap of the space bar, and I am up and running!

    Apparently my motherboard or knoppix does not like the power management screen shutdown to be active when using the knx-install script?

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: hdd install quagmire

    Quote Originally Posted by xbob
    Apparently my motherboard or knoppix does not like the power management screen shutdown to be active when using the knx-install script?

    Thanks for your help.
    Anything's possible -I don't turn off APM for an install but I do make sure not to hit keys too often. I do know that you can't (shouldn't) leave an install alone for too long after it finishes because something gets jammed up and it won't finish. I dunno.........

    Glad you got it working tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01