-
install log location?
Hello. I can't seem to find the install log. I tried to install on a dell optiplex gx150 and keep getting errors. So I thought I would check the log. I can't find it. Isn't it in /var/log/ ?
-
First of all test the install medium (CD or DVD) with the cheatcodeWhile booting Dell Optiplex change with [Strg Alt F12] to terminal and you'll see the bootmessages.
I tried to install on a dell optiplex gx150 and keep getting errors.
What errors?
-
I don't know what the errors are. That's why I want to see the log. the installer usually stops at around 7% and then it says that the installer encounted errors and that knoppix probaly isn't installed. It then gives me an okay button and I usually clckit. Then it countinues to the grub installation. I'll try to install again and give you what it says exactly.
-
this is what it says: There were errors copying KNOPPIX to hard disk. Therefore the installation is not complete. It is possible that KNOPPIX cannot be booted or that it works unreliably. Try again to copy KNOPPIX to hard disk? Yes no The disk check was clean. It also seems that the computer only has 243 MB of ram not 512 MB. I will have to upgrade that soon. The installer doesn't give me any error code so I don't know what is going wrong.
-
Forget it; 243 MB RAM isn't enough to run Knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@ryanvade:
You forgot to write which version of Knoppix you were trying.
It is possible to start Knoppix 7.0.3 CD with qemu on an Windows host using 256 MB RAM for the virtual machine. Knoppix 7.0.3 uses RAM compression that should help on machines with little RAM installed. If possible, one should create a suitable swap partition on an HDD and enable it. (I don't think that it would be a good idea to use a flash device for swapping since the lifetime of flash memory is very limited regarding write operations.)
-
I'm using version 6.7.1. I cant use version 7 because it only works on DVD's. If I could put it on a cd then that would really help, the computer has no DVD drive. I do have a swap partition on the drive and it is active. I'll assume that the low memory is what keeps KNOPPIX from installing. Thank you!! although my original question wasn't answered. IS their an installation log? And if so where is it?
-
There is 7.0.3CD available.
While doing the HD installing Knoppix writes a temporary logfile to '/tmp/0wn.log'.
By default Knoppix doesn't log to '/var/log/'. If you want logging to '/var/log/' you have to rename the file '/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf' and to install "anacron".
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer
$600.00

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99

Commodore 64c Computer System
$550.00

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded
$89.50

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA
$10.49

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller
$29.99

Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion
$115.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99