Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: install log location?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11

    Question install log location?

    Hello. I can't seem to find the install log. I tried to install on a dell optiplex gx150 and keep getting errors. So I thought I would check the log. I can't find it. Isn't it in /var/log/ ?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    First of all test the install medium (CD or DVD) with the cheatcode
    Code:
    knoppix testcd
    While booting Dell Optiplex change with [Strg Alt F12] to terminal and you'll see the bootmessages.
    I tried to install on a dell optiplex gx150 and keep getting errors.
    What errors?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    I don't know what the errors are. That's why I want to see the log. the installer usually stops at around 7% and then it says that the installer encounted errors and that knoppix probaly isn't installed. It then gives me an okay button and I usually clckit. Then it countinues to the grub installation. I'll try to install again and give you what it says exactly.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    this is what it says: There were errors copying KNOPPIX to hard disk. Therefore the installation is not complete. It is possible that KNOPPIX cannot be booted or that it works unreliably. Try again to copy KNOPPIX to hard disk? Yes no The disk check was clean. It also seems that the computer only has 243 MB of ram not 512 MB. I will have to upgrade that soon. The installer doesn't give me any error code so I don't know what is going wrong.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Forget it; 243 MB RAM isn't enough to run Knoppix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @ryanvade:

    You forgot to write which version of Knoppix you were trying.

    It is possible to start Knoppix 7.0.3 CD with qemu on an Windows host using 256 MB RAM for the virtual machine. Knoppix 7.0.3 uses RAM compression that should help on machines with little RAM installed. If possible, one should create a suitable swap partition on an HDD and enable it. (I don't think that it would be a good idea to use a flash device for swapping since the lifetime of flash memory is very limited regarding write operations.)

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    I'm using version 6.7.1. I cant use version 7 because it only works on DVD's. If I could put it on a cd then that would really help, the computer has no DVD drive. I do have a swap partition on the drive and it is active. I'll assume that the low memory is what keeps KNOPPIX from installing. Thank you!! although my original question wasn't answered. IS their an installation log? And if so where is it?

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    There is 7.0.3CD available.
    While doing the HD installing Knoppix writes a temporary logfile to '/tmp/0wn.log'.

    By default Knoppix doesn't log to '/var/log/'. If you want logging to '/var/log/' you have to rename the file '/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf' and to install "anacron".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$483.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$477.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$484.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 8GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 8GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$452.99



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99