-
LiveDVD shows warnings and possible rootkits
Hi there, I have downloaded Knoppix DVDv7.0.1 and used it to boot my laptop. I have run the rkhunter command and it shows lots of warnings and possible rootkits. Is this normal for a liveDVD or is something else? I am new to knoppix.
This is a summary of the output System checks summary
[13:39:30] ===================== [13:39:30] [13:39:30] File properties checks... [13:39:30] Required commands check failed [13:39:30] Files checked: 193 [13:39:30] Suspect files: 151 [13:39:30] [13:39:30] Rootkit checks... [13:39:30] Rootkits checked : 251 [13:39:30] Possible rootkits: 2 [13:39:30] Rootkit names : Rootkit component, Xzibit Rootkit [13:39:30] [13:39:30] Applications checks... [13:39:30] All checks skipped [13:39:30] [13:39:30] The system checks took: 3 minutes and 42 seconds [13:39:30] [13:39:30] Info: End date is Sun Jul 15 13:39:30 UTC 2012
Cheers
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 07-15-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Reason: formatted by moderator
-
Before trying a tool like rkhunter please learn how to use it and especially all about "Intrusion Procedure"
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/rkhunter/wiki/SPRKH
-
Thank you

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
Thank you Werner for the link. I see that rkhunter is more than a simple scanner. The warnings were about mismatched checksums for some files and applications, but the checksum for Knoppix iso was ok. That was a bit of a puzzle for me. I have lots to learn, now that I have made the switch from "point, click and don't need to know" OS to Linux.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105
$19.95

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95