-
No disk utility in 7.0.3?
I was checking out Knoppix 7.0.3 and much to my dismay, found that a feature I had long relied on (the "Disk Utility", used for reading SMART data and estimating the mechanical condition of a drive) seems to have been removed. Is there a new program for this and it was removed due to redundancy, or was it removed due to space constraints?
I'm not much of a linux coder, but is there some way I could slip this into K7, or do I simply have to revert to 6.7?
Thank you in advance for the help.
-
Somebody running 7.0.3 should confirm whether Disk Utility has been removed, but if you want to add this or any other package to K7 without using a persistent image, I suggest you start with a look at this thread: Ramdisk and partial remastering in Knoppix 7
-
Good news for you lad, and anyone else who likes Palimpsest Disk Utility.
Playing around with 7.0.3 DVD, I noticed that it is actually included, but for some reason doesn't appear in the System Tools menu as it did in previous versions of Knoppix DVD. So you have to run it from a terminal:
For the record, note that both the CD and DVD have a good suite of hard drive tools that are S.M.A.R.T. compatible. E.g. smartctl and smartd, udisks (Disk Utility is a graphical interface for udisks), and others.
Last edited by lapidu; 07-25-2012 at 05:23 AM.
-
Disk Utility is Available in 7.0.3 DVD
Just after posting the above, I found Disk Utility under the Accessories menu in Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD!
So, you can run it without resorting to the terminal, directly from the Live DVD. Problem solved.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings, lapidu.
Does palimpsest provide any greater capability or insight than gparted?
At first glance gparted seems to have a more intuitive gui than palimpsest,
for me anyway.
-
Hello utu!
In comparing GParted to Palimpsest, I suppose you are looking at disk partition/format capability. I haven't used Palimpsest for that, or much else, so I can't really say whether it offers much more; GParted has always served me well as a partitioning front-end. I might have a closer look at Disk Utility one of these days and report back if I find something interesting in a comparison between the two.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i
$699.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

DELL POWEREDGE FC640 Server FHH8V W/×2 Intel Xeon Gold 6142,0KHKN5. *READ⬇*
$130.00

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99