Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Printer Setup requires Authentication

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Printer Setup requires Authentication

    Hi,
    I run KnoppixV702 from USB flash disk and I want to setup a printer.

    lsusb output:
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03f0:c602 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart D7100 series
    when I start
    --->Menu --->Preferences --->Printing to add a new printer I get the message:
    Priviledges are required to get a list of available devices.
    Authentication is required to perform this action.
    Password:
    What is the password?
    (It is not the password I entered via
    --->Knoppix --->Set password for root
    because it is not accepted)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Greetings Karibu!

    I would suggest that you try the following. Search the menu entry "Printing" in the "Preferences" menu and click with the right mouse button. You will see a small menu where you can select "Properties". A window will open named "Application Shortcut". Edit the command string so that it reads "sudo system-config-printer" and click on the OK button. Try again to configure your printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Excellent!
    Thank you, Klaus, for the immediate help...
    Printer added and working...
    case closed for me!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    CUPS can be configured through web interface http://localhost:631

    For the past few years, I have used the web interface to configure CUPS for printer management. Works fine for me as far as I have tried it out.

    http://localhost:631/

    My printers have been auto-detected etc.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    @Capricorny
    Thank you for the input.
    My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
    have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Karibu View Post
    @Capricorny
    Thank you for the input.
    My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
    have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!
    Forgive me my ignorance about this, but I haven't needed to do anything with the printers recently outside the web interface for CUPS. Having been through a multitude of printer configuration/administration tools over the years, I'm very glad to have one single place to go. But then there must be something I can't do through that web interface? I haven't run into any authentication issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT OF 2  Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG picture

LOT OF 2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG

$199.95



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM picture

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM

$99.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM picture

SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM

$169.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



SK hynix 576GB DDR4-2933 ECC RDIMM Server RAM 24x DIMMs 12x32GB + 12x16GB picture

SK hynix 576GB DDR4-2933 ECC RDIMM Server RAM 24x DIMMs 12x32GB + 12x16GB

$3000.00



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95