Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Printer Setup requires Authentication

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Printer Setup requires Authentication

    Hi,
    I run KnoppixV702 from USB flash disk and I want to setup a printer.

    lsusb output:
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03f0:c602 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart D7100 series
    when I start
    --->Menu --->Preferences --->Printing to add a new printer I get the message:
    Priviledges are required to get a list of available devices.
    Authentication is required to perform this action.
    Password:
    What is the password?
    (It is not the password I entered via
    --->Knoppix --->Set password for root
    because it is not accepted)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Greetings Karibu!

    I would suggest that you try the following. Search the menu entry "Printing" in the "Preferences" menu and click with the right mouse button. You will see a small menu where you can select "Properties". A window will open named "Application Shortcut". Edit the command string so that it reads "sudo system-config-printer" and click on the OK button. Try again to configure your printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Excellent!
    Thank you, Klaus, for the immediate help...
    Printer added and working...
    case closed for me!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    CUPS can be configured through web interface http://localhost:631

    For the past few years, I have used the web interface to configure CUPS for printer management. Works fine for me as far as I have tried it out.

    http://localhost:631/

    My printers have been auto-detected etc.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    @Capricorny
    Thank you for the input.
    My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
    have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Karibu View Post
    @Capricorny
    Thank you for the input.
    My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
    have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!
    Forgive me my ignorance about this, but I haven't needed to do anything with the printers recently outside the web interface for CUPS. Having been through a multitude of printer configuration/administration tools over the years, I'm very glad to have one single place to go. But then there must be something I can't do through that web interface? I haven't run into any authentication issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables picture

Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables

$74.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



Vintage Edmark TouchWindow for Macintosh DeskTop Computer Touch Window Never Usd picture

Vintage Edmark TouchWindow for Macintosh DeskTop Computer Touch Window Never Usd

$79.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Coach Vintage BlackNylon Leather Messenger Crossbody Laptop Bag Style 5115 picture

Coach Vintage BlackNylon Leather Messenger Crossbody Laptop Bag Style 5115

$90.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00