Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Printer Setup requires Authentication

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Printer Setup requires Authentication

    Hi,
    I run KnoppixV702 from USB flash disk and I want to setup a printer.

    lsusb output:
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03f0:c602 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart D7100 series
    when I start
    --->Menu --->Preferences --->Printing to add a new printer I get the message:
    Priviledges are required to get a list of available devices.
    Authentication is required to perform this action.
    Password:
    What is the password?
    (It is not the password I entered via
    --->Knoppix --->Set password for root
    because it is not accepted)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Greetings Karibu!

    I would suggest that you try the following. Search the menu entry "Printing" in the "Preferences" menu and click with the right mouse button. You will see a small menu where you can select "Properties". A window will open named "Application Shortcut". Edit the command string so that it reads "sudo system-config-printer" and click on the OK button. Try again to configure your printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Excellent!
    Thank you, Klaus, for the immediate help...
    Printer added and working...
    case closed for me!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    CUPS can be configured through web interface http://localhost:631

    For the past few years, I have used the web interface to configure CUPS for printer management. Works fine for me as far as I have tried it out.

    http://localhost:631/

    My printers have been auto-detected etc.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    @Capricorny
    Thank you for the input.
    My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
    have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Karibu View Post
    @Capricorny
    Thank you for the input.
    My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
    have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!
    Forgive me my ignorance about this, but I haven't needed to do anything with the printers recently outside the web interface for CUPS. Having been through a multitude of printer configuration/administration tools over the years, I'm very glad to have one single place to go. But then there must be something I can't do through that web interface? I haven't run into any authentication issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe picture

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe

$284.99