Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Dell Inspiron 8100 has Grub Boot Problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2

    Dell Inspiron 8100 has Grub Boot Problems

    I have an older Dell Inspiron whose CD drive does not work, and whose bios dose not allow booting from a usb device. So, I downloaded the ADRIANE iso to the hard drive (it currently runs xubuntu) and configured grub with this boot entry:

    menuentry knoppix {
    loopback loop (hd0,1)/home/ADRIANE....iso
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux debug nousb bootfrom=/dev/sda1/home/ADRIANE....iso expert knoppix
    initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    }
    When I boot the computer, Knoppix appears to boot ok --it displays a message that it finds knoppix 6 at /dev/sda1/home/.... It displays a messages that kernel 2.6.39.3 is loaded. Then it displays a message:

    sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

    It then displays a prompt. The hard disk is mounted at /mnt-iso. I cannot run any programs on the hard disk such as firefox. Even if I type the full path, a message is displayed that the program is not found. A character interface is displayed -- no graphical windows manager. Obviously somethins is wrong. Any ideas?

    Thanks much!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I would suggest that you try to boot without the 'debug' cheat code.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2
    Alright. It worked! I presumed that "debug" would offer something useful if the boot malfunctioned, and that it would be harmless if it functioned well. I was wrong. Thanks much for your assistance.

    Cheers!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI  32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included picture

Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI 32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included

$8150.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$344.74



🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97