Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Software

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    Software

    Hey all,

    I'm new to linux so I got Knoppix. I was wondering if there is a way to install new software and running off the hard drive if not this will still be fun to learn

    thnx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but it is definitely possible to install Knoppix to hdd and yes you can install software. In fact- it's easier than you ever imagined. Read the docs- it's all there.

    If you're asking if you can install software to a booted cd the answer is no- it's a read only file system.

    If I've misunderstood your question let me know.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Software

    --Here is the Knoppix FAQ:
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=70773

    --To install to HD, you need to use Partitionmagic or something like it (actually you can use different things like fdisk, but you're new to this so I'm recommending a Windows tool) to repartition the HD so that you have a Swap partition that is at least equal to the amount of memory in your system, and at least a 2300Meg (2.3Gig) partition to install Knoppix/Linux onto.

    --Then use ' knx-hdinstall ' to run the installation process. To install more software, use ' apt-cache search ' ("man apt-cache" for info) and ' apt-get install blah ' ("man apt-get" for help.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuggy
    Hey all,

    I'm new to linux so I got Knoppix. I was wondering if there is a way to install new software and running off the hard drive if not this will still be fun to learn

    thnx

Similar Threads

  1. Invoicing Software
    By phillw in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
  2. software
    By Xpiral in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:38 PM
  3. software
    By sandig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
  4. new software
    By dougvega in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 04:46 AM
  5. SOFTWARE
    By Doc in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 06:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99