I had the same thing. When I tried it again it worked. I think the drive has to be unmounted.
I am trying to install to a 16GB flash drive from the live DVD with
Knoppix -> Install KNOPPIX to flash drive
The drive on /dev/sdg is formatted OK but during copying I get this error:
cp: writing `/tmp/flash-knoppix.4381.tmpmount/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': No space left on device cp: failed to extend `/tmp/flash-knoppix.4381.tmpmount/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': No space left on device
However using df I see that /tmp is no more than 1% full.
Does anyone know the cause of this error, and is there a "manual" way to install to flash drive?
cheers
Gareth
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sr0 4081942 4081942 0 100% /mnt-system
tmpfs 2486272 10952 2475320 1% /ramdisk
/dev/cloop 9732726 9732726 0 100% /KNOPPIX
unionfs 2486272 10952 2475320 1% /UNIONFS
unionfs 2486272 10952 2475320 1% /usr
unionfs 2486272 10952 2475320 1% /home
tmpfs 10240 64 10176 1% /UNIONFS/var/run
tmpfs 20480 2892 17588 15% /run
tmpfs 10240 0 10240 0% /UNIONFS/var/lock
tmpfs 102400 104 102296 1% /UNIONFS/var/log
tmpfs 2097152 248 2096904 1% /tmp
udev 20480 4 20476 1% /dev
tmpfs 2097152 132 2097020 1% /dev/shm
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sdg
Disk /dev/sdg: 16.0 GB, 16008609792 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1946 cylinders, total 31266816 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdg1 * 63 240974 120456 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdg2 240975 7132859 3445942+ 83 Linux
I had the same thing. When I tried it again it worked. I think the drive has to be unmounted.
Have you checked that you are actually doing what you think you do?
First, what do you think /tmp is actually containing?
Second, you say "formatted OK" - but what does fdisk output tell you?
Third, if copy to flash terminates correctly, how would you see the results immediately afterwards?
You definitely don't need a manual way to install to flash drive. You definitely need to use the built-in functions, at least for a while.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99