Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 7.0.3 LXDE: Alt-F1 ignored, does not open main menu

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44

    Knoppix 7.0.3 LXDE: Alt-F1 ignored, does not open main menu

    KNOPPIX 7.0.3 EN DVD and CD versions booted with cheatcode keyboard=dk xkeyboard=dk no3d into LXDE desktop environment

    The keyboard shortcut Alt-F1 does nothing. It used to open the main menu, and as the mouse hater I am I really miss this. Can I configure something to activate this shortcut ?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    Booting without cheatcodes or with cheatcodes no3d noimage gives the same behaviour - Alt-F1 is ignored. Window Manager is metacity, right ? So I can't use the OpenBox configuration.

    In the dconf editor under org / gnome / desktop / wm / kebindings it says that Alt-F1 should activate panel-main-menu. It also shows that Alt-F2 should activate panel-run-dialog, but this doesn't work either. How can I find out what is capturing Alt-F1 ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    Thank you utu for the hint.

    I ran xmodmap -pk and xmodmap -pke on Knoppix 7.0.3 and 7.0.2 and compared the ouput. Knoppix 7.0.2 gives the same xmodmap output as 7.0.3 , but Alt-F1 works on 7.0.2 and not on 7.0.3 , and the same can be said for Alt-F2.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I know you don't want to use a mouse, but
    perhaps /etc/X11/app-defaults/XVkbd-danish may give you some ideas.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Also,

    I note that if I select Main Menu>System Tools>dconf Editor,
    then go to org>desktop>wm>keybindings, all with the mouse,
    I am presented with an array of keys and their current values.
    These values are editable on this last screen.

    Have you tried editing the keybindings this way?
    Seems like using the mouse for a little while this way, you might
    be able to re-arrange the keybindings to suit your own style.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22

    GTK3/Metacity problem

    Quote Originally Posted by fredvej View Post
    KNOPPIX 7.0.3 EN DVD and CD versions booted with cheatcode keyboard=dk xkeyboard=dk no3d into LXDE desktop environment

    The keyboard shortcut Alt-F1 does nothing. It used to open the main menu, and as the mouse hater I am I really miss this. Can I configure something to activate this shortcut ?
    The reason is that metacity from Debian/unstable, compiled with GTK3, no longer supports custom keybindings. For some reason yet unknown to me, the code was removed from the source. Since I depend on metacity as the only 2d alternative (boot option no3d) to compiz (3d) which looks and feels identical and accepts the same settings and themes, I was rather disappointed about this change, too. What you see in the dconf settings is my humble attempt to support Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 again, if metacity authors would redecide to support the setting again some time (I just copied the variables from gconf in dconf).

    Actually, compiz-gtk from Debian/unstable is linked with the metacity libraries, so there was not much choice of keeping the old GTK2 metacity, unless I put everything on hold which would have made Knoppix non-upgradable. But unlike metacity, compiz has its own handling of custom keybindings, so currently, you only get Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 working if you use compiz, and they won't work with "no3d" with metacity.

    Sorry about this. If you find a solution to let metacity (or a maybe an additional daemon?) handle Alt-F1, Alt-F2 and also the "Print" key again in "no3d" mode, please let me know.

    Regards
    -Klaus

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08