Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: knoppix essential packages?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by dwstarke View Post
    I can't determine (on my own) which packages to take out of the mix. I have had some experience in the ancient past of recompiling Slackware 0.98, but no experience with modern linux. I don't mind remastering and I think I'm pretty close to taking Knoppix 7.0.3 and chrooting into it and then being able to reconstitute the iso. What I cannot seem to be able to do at all is remove packages that I think should not effect the iso, yet I have problems. This is exactly what you describe in your original post. So, I guess, that I wish there was a minimalist Knoppix that I could add to, since my hunch is that adding won't create as many problems as removing. Forgive me if my logic is faulty.

    Thanks for your guidance here. I have no idea about Ubuntu.
    I think there is no fault in logic per se, the main problem is that it seems that even Klaus Knopper may occasionally have problems stripping down to a CD version. Because of special adaptations and some general differences in approach, Knoppix and general Debian are quite different distro-wise, and seemingly diverging. Last year, I was able to mix and match vanilla Debian and Knoppix 6.4.4 for a pure 64-bits Knoppix version, couldn't repeat that with Knoppix 7.X.

    Ubuntu is quite close to both, and my recent experience with it has been quite positive. (Much better than some years ago.) Maybe Ubuntu's version of debootstrap (which has worked flawlessly for me) could be adapted to Knoppix?

    I think your hunch that adding is much safer than removing is quite to the point for today's versions. And because Klaus K's approach to booting and HW detection is the only one I have seen that I really like, I would really like to have a minimalist Knoppix. But anyone who wants something like that right now, should probably check out Ubuntu live.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19

    Can we build a minimalist knoppix from say Debian live?

    To do so would probably mean we would have to Kang (android slang) the scripts and the Knoppix deb packages Klaus created with the normal init sequence of the Debian live. I cannot judge whether this might be easier than stripping the Knoppix cd or not. One advantage would be a possible unification of packages into "testing" Debian, which might make remastering "even easier"TM

    What do you think?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2 picture

2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2

$125.00



HAJAAN 1TB 2.5

HAJAAN 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD SED Black for Laptop/PC

$60.00



KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE picture

KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE

$58.99