Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to autorun a X program?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14

    How to autorun a X program?

    I am remastering 6.7.1 Live CD. Which file(s) I have to modify so that my application ( wxGTK application) runs after booting. I can now boot up the remastered iso and run the application manually from Terminal in su mode.

    I have checked all available links on the net including the Remaster document, using which I am anyway doing the remastering. So, please give me a specific answer ( I am waiting for 4 months) just to get this simple answer from other forums.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I suppose that you use the LXDE.

    You could create the directory /home/knoppix/.config/autostart if it does not exist. The next step would be to create a .desktop file for your application, e. g. /home/knoppix/.config/autostart/mywxGTKApp.desktop. Since you like to run that program as root, you could try out the following
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=mywxGTKApp
    Type=Application
    Exec=sudo /usr/local/bin/mywxGTKApp
    Terminal=false
    You can use your favourite text editor to create such .desktop file. You can read more about .desktop files on the page Desktop Enty Specification.

    Of course there are other places (directories) where you could put a shell script that runs your application, but the way described above would ensure that the desktop environment is already up and running.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    A stupid question by me:
    Do I make this addition in myremasterfolder/source/KNOPPIX/home/knoppix/.config/autostart folder?
    Or should I do a chroot and then make the changes?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    You don't have to use the chroot environment if you can find the right folder. The .desktop file should be owned by the user knoppix. You can use the chown command to change user an group if necessary.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks, and it worked like a charm.
    I am not sure why I have to really scour the sea bed for pearls. Shouldn't all these be in a nice little book that contains all that the Gurus said?
    Thanks again, it ends my six month's odyssey. I will have to start trimming and slimming my live CD now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99