Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon View Post
Annoyance I've noted on 7.0.x incl 7.0.4 on some nvidia cards 7800 and 8800 maybe more systems is repetitived blanking of the screen (ie, 10-15secons On, 2 Seconds Blanked Off) dont think it related to what I've read (nvidia driver / compis usage / powerthrottle on card mhz speed change) but for a workaround to not using the no3d cheat code on the kernel command line append drm_kms_helper.poll=0 Will stop screen flickering but I think problems is still there.
I've seen the occasional "blank" 2 or 3 times directly after starting up when using the framebuffer gma500_gfx on an eeepc 1101 HA, but surprisingly, it goes away after a while. It may be related to system load, which is high at the beginning, and could be a timing problem in the X server which skips interrupts or cannot do refreshs in time. I have no explanation why it happens on nvidia, too, but the option drm_kms_helper.poll=0 sounds interesting. It may be that the X server needs a while to find the correct interval to read possible mode setting changes, and "blanks" if it gets an invalid mode or timeout back from the chipset. Do the "blanks" disappear for you after a while, or is it rather a constant flickering every 10 seconds, indefinitely, when you boot tithout the option?

Regards
-Klaus