Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Knoppix 7.0.4-EN CD & DVD notes & comments

Threaded View

  1. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by knopper View Post
    I've seen the occasional "blank" 2 or 3 times directly after starting up when using the framebuffer gma500_gfx on an eeepc 1101 HA, but surprisingly, it goes away after a while. It may be related to system load, which is high at the beginning, and could be a timing problem in the X server which skips interrupts or cannot do refreshs in time. I have no explanation why it happens on nvidia, too, but the option drm_kms_helper.poll=0 sounds interesting. It may be that the X server needs a while to find the correct interval to read possible mode setting changes, and "blanks" if it gets an invalid mode or timeout back from the chipset. Do the "blanks" disappear for you after a while, or is it rather a constant flickering every 10 seconds, indefinitely, when you boot tithout the option?

    Regards
    -Klaus
    Yeah when my brother upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0.2 from linux magizine when he got to his desktop, his screen would blank indefinitely, at the time I tired to help him but wasnt paying much attention because I wasnt having the problem (Im a little more savvy with linux but not much). I think he tried installing offical nvidia drivers and he ended up using some cheat code as I suggested. I could not remember which one at the time. He has an 8800 ultra. I downloaded 7.0.4 for myself last night and the same thing started happened on my computer with 7800 ultra. I didn't want to go disabling stuff with cheat codes so just searched the problem on google and it does look to be cropping up in a lots of places. The setting suggested worked so I thought i'd just leave the info here, today I learned nomodeset will work too. dmesg shows at 10 second intervals nouveau load detected on output A. Screen blanks in console (ctrl+alt+f1) aswell. I dont know the cause because but 7.0.2 was fine for me which is strange, only thing I can think are common to us are DVI-VGA adaptors in use, KVM switchs in use or because of GS versions of cards? even in windows opening the control panel causes a screen blank that I've never noticed with any other nvidia cards.
    Last edited by jacksonon; 08-28-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$461.10



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1774.24



HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000 picture

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000

$599.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Apple Macbook Pro 16

Apple Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max 10-Core 32GB 1TB - Good

$1099.99



2026 NEW SGIN 15.6

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C

$302.99