-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
knopper
I've seen the occasional "blank" 2 or 3 times directly after starting up when using the framebuffer gma500_gfx on an eeepc 1101 HA, but surprisingly, it goes away after a while. It may be related to system load, which is high at the beginning, and could be a timing problem in the X server which skips interrupts or cannot do refreshs in time. I have no explanation why it happens on nvidia, too, but the option drm_kms_helper.poll=0 sounds interesting. It may be that the X server needs a while to find the correct interval to read possible mode setting changes, and "blanks" if it gets an invalid mode or timeout back from the chipset. Do the "blanks" disappear for you after a while, or is it rather a constant flickering every 10 seconds, indefinitely, when you boot tithout the option?
Regards
-Klaus
Yeah when my brother upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0.2 from linux magizine when he got to his desktop, his screen would blank indefinitely, at the time I tired to help him but wasnt paying much attention because I wasnt having the problem (Im a little more savvy with linux but not much). I think he tried installing offical nvidia drivers and he ended up using some cheat code as I suggested. I could not remember which one at the time. He has an 8800 ultra. I downloaded 7.0.4 for myself last night and the same thing started happened on my computer with 7800 ultra. I didn't want to go disabling stuff with cheat codes so just searched the problem on google and it does look to be cropping up in a lots of places. The setting suggested worked so I thought i'd just leave the info here, today I learned nomodeset will work too. dmesg shows at 10 second intervals nouveau load detected on output A. Screen blanks in console (ctrl+alt+f1) aswell. I dont know the cause because but 7.0.2 was fine for me which is strange, only thing I can think are common to us are DVI-VGA adaptors in use, KVM switchs in use or because of GS versions of cards? even in windows opening the control panel causes a screen blank that I've never noticed with any other nvidia cards.
Last edited by jacksonon; 08-28-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 24 SK Hynix 64GB 2Rx4 DDR4 2933Y HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM Server Ram (AVA)
$11999.95

MXR 96GB (6x16GB) DDR4-2666 288-Pin DIMM SDRAM 2Rx8 Memory Kit
$230.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q Server Memory RAM *HP 752370-091
$135.00

Micron MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G6 64GB (1x64GB) 4DRx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 Server Memory
$314.99

Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested
$4200.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98