Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Kiosk mode?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    Kiosk mode?

    I've been looking for a linux based kiosk live cd that I can run at some truck stops that I manage. I found a walkthrough that was for Knoppix v5 where you basically set the desktop to "kiosk" and it boots with no menus etc etc, and just opens firefox. However, it looks like the kiosk desktop has been removed from v7?

    Do I have any other options? I haven't been able to find a walkthrough for v7.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    I used to use knoppix for this, but 5 years ago or so they seemed to take things in another direction ... I think Ubuntu and some other distros pulled enough people away which left Klaus a little less capable of supporting all the various projects Knoppix had split into.

    If you're not married to Knoppix check out remastersys which works with Ubuntu-ish distros (like mint). Might be helpful:
    http://maketecheasier.com/backup-ubu...sys/2008/12/22
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/95392...-squashfs-root
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

    If you want it with KDE to give you a similar experience to Knoppix:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/creating-a...-using-kubuntu

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I haven't done much GUI customization, but I wonder why it shouldn't work with Knoppix/KDE if it works with, say Ubuntu/KDE (kubuntu)? LXDE, the default since 6.0, may be less suited for this kind of customization, but you may still use KDE, Gnome or something else.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I haven't done much GUI customization, but I wonder why it shouldn't work with Knoppix/KDE if it works with, say Ubuntu/KDE (kubuntu)? LXDE, the default since 6.0, may be less suited for this kind of customization, but you may still use KDE, Gnome or something else.
    My understanding was that the remastersystool was designed specifically for the Ubuntu distro and that it wouldn't work with others.

    I'm currently working on a kiosk myself, this time I've decided to mount and chroot right into the liveCD image of Kubuntu to make changes directly necessary to make it into a kiosk platform ... I see no reason why I couldn't do that with a more recent version Knoppix ... just have to use cloop instead of squashfs right? Here's a guide on how to do it with Kubuntu (4 years old but seems to be working fine - note some of the instructions are faulty, like missing a forward-slash at the end of rsync command for example, but it's pretty easy to detect when you're doing it):
    http://www.michael-krueger.org/2008/...u-live-cd.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00