Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Quick Samba

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    Quick Samba

    Hello,
    I'd like to make a salvage of a Windows 2000 on a laptop (windows 2000 doesn't want to start); So I start the laptop with Knoppix and I set up the network with Samba to save all the data on a Windos Workstation. I execute the same thing which is explain in the Quick FAQ Samba. Everything is working except the fact that I can't get into the /mnt. So I can't save my files from Windows. From Knoppix I can see them and excecute them (but I can't copy and paste from Konqueror)...
    I really need to know why...
    Thank a lot

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Tustin, California, US
    Posts
    5
    Remember, if Windows is on an NTFS partition, it's best not to make that one writeable. If you have a writeable partition upon which you want to save the Windows data, you will have to select the option to mount it read/write as opposed to the default, which is read-only. Right click on the icon for the partition and be sure that read-only is not checked and remount.

    If you need access as root, do "sudo passwd" to change the root password to one you know, then you can "su" and change to root.

    If you're going to save it over the network, use linneighborhood to mount the network share locally.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    Yes, but is that normal: I can read it from knoppix and not from the network and it's not only /mnt/hda1 but the whole /mnt/
    I thought it could be because of the spaces in some folders names
    Thx

Similar Threads

  1. just a quick question
    By benjamin1254 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 03:42 AM
  2. Two quick problems..
    By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 04:14 AM
  3. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  4. PLEASE HELP - Quick Question
    By mikey_man380 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
  5. Quick question
    By unimportantguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00