Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Starting Compiz in 7.0.4

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by knopper View Post
    Which graphics chipset do you have?
    NVidia GeForce FX 5200 -- knoppix 3d does not work.

    When I try to start compiz from a console I get:

    FATAL: No composite extension

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    UPDATE

    7.0.2 DVD downloaded U.S. server -- no compiz, no connection.
    7.0.3 DVD purchased OSDisk.com -- no compiz, no connection.
    7.0.4 DVD downloaded German server -- no compiz, no connection.

    However, this morning I downloaded the 7.0.4 CD and it works perfectly. Compiz comes up and the connection is automatic.

    Something on the DVD is different from the CD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Well, that 7.0.4 CD worked exactly ONCE back in August. It hasn't worked since and I've tried almost daily. I have no connection, no audio and limited graphics.

    I have a working Debian testing where I added the proprietary drivers last year. Unfortunately I don't remember what I did. It works perfectly and shows the following cards and drivers:

    Graphics: Card NVIDIA C51G [GeForce 6100] X.org 2) Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root
    Audio: Card NVIDIA MCP51 AC97 Audio Controller driver snd_intel8x0 at ports dc00 d800 BusID: 00:10.2
    Network: Card NVIDIA MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver forcedeth at port d400 BusID: 00:14.0

    How can install the proper drivers in Knoppix?

    And why in the world did the CD work only once?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Twain View Post
    Well, that 7.0.4 CD worked exactly ONCE back in August. It hasn't worked since and I've tried almost daily. I have no connection, no audio and limited graphics.

    I have a working Debian testing where I added the proprietary drivers last year. Unfortunately I don't remember what I did. It works perfectly and shows the following cards and drivers:

    Graphics: Card NVIDIA C51G [GeForce 6100] X.org 2) Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root
    Audio: Card NVIDIA MCP51 AC97 Audio Controller driver snd_intel8x0 at ports dc00 d800 BusID: 00:10.2
    Network: Card NVIDIA MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver forcedeth at port d400 BusID: 00:14.0

    How can install the proper drivers in Knoppix?

    And why in the world did the CD work only once?
    It seems your graphics card does not work well with free drivers, so I would suggest to disable accellerated graphics ad use framebuffer or non-3d mode. I'm not convinced that the proprietary drivers behave stable, I would try to avoid them. NVIDIA has always been "problem hardware".

    knoppix no3d
    or
    fb1024x768

    will turn off composite and acellerated mode, and use the 2D window manager.

    I have no idea why your audio and network isn't working. The onboard intel soundcard is completely independent from your graphics card, and all recent network and wifi adapters should be supported by a recent kernel. Also, there is no natural explanation for a case of the CD working "just once". Neither the CD content, nor your computer hardware can be "changed" by software only. If you find out what happened, please let me know!

    Regards
    -Klaus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic ICs - Lot of 4 - SOLDER PULLS picture

Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic ICs - Lot of 4 - SOLDER PULLS

$175.00



RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ* picture

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*

$299.99



Vintage Retro Handheld Computer 386SX 16MB RAM with 2-Hour Battery and USB Port picture

Vintage Retro Handheld Computer 386SX 16MB RAM with 2-Hour Battery and USB Port

$412.91



Vintage Apple Macintosh 80MB SCSI 2.5

Vintage Apple Macintosh 80MB SCSI 2.5" Hard Drive IBM WDS-280 PowerBook 1992

$65.00



RARE ISA Video Card, S3 P86C928, 2MB (Diamond Stealth Pro) Vintage, Working picture

RARE ISA Video Card, S3 P86C928, 2MB (Diamond Stealth Pro) Vintage, Working

$179.99



Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk picture

Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk

$250.00



ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working picture

ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working

$74.99



ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (Diamond SpeedSTAR24) Vintage, Working picture

ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (Diamond SpeedSTAR24) Vintage, Working

$84.99



Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX picture

Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX

$850.00



Vintage MetaCreations Bryce 3D Software RARE w/ Serial picture

Vintage MetaCreations Bryce 3D Software RARE w/ Serial

$145.00