-
crontab time issues
Hi
I've added this line to /etc/crontab, the system wide crontab file.
0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/ntpdate -o 1 tock.usno.navy.mil
NTPDate sync's my machine's time with the above server's time.
The next line in the same file is:
5 0 * * * root date | mail root@localhost
This e-mails me the time
So, after the time is sync'd, I get an e-mail. Perfect!
The problem is, I get an e-mail with the date at 0:00, and another one at 15:00. I've tested this with other lines in the /etc/crontab file ("echo "test at noon" |mail) and again, I get two e-mails.
Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone know how to stop this?
When I started crond, I just did "sudo /etc/init.d/cron start"
Thanks,
- Ambrose
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: crontab time issues
--In the first line, you have '0 0 *...'
--Second line, you have '5 0 *...' so things aren't happening sequentially the way you expect.
--I am not a cron guru, but suggest you put the ntpdate and mail commands into 1 script file and then run that file at midnight+ 1minute (don't forget to chmod +x it.) This will ensure the mail only arrives after ntpdate runs, and only runs with that file.
--Also do ' ps ax |grep cron ' and see if you have two daemons running.
--Neat idea; thanx for the tip.

Originally Posted by
Ambrose
Hi
I've added this line to /etc/crontab, the system wide crontab file.
0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/ntpdate -o 1 tock.usno.navy.mil
NTPDate sync's my machine's time with the above server's time.
The next line in the same file is:
5 0 * * * root date | mail root@localhost
This e-mails me the time
So, after the time is sync'd, I get an e-mail. Perfect!
The problem is, I get an e-mail with the date at 0:00, and another one at 15:00. I've tested this with other lines in the /etc/crontab file ("echo "test at noon" |mail) and again, I get two e-mails.
Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone know how to stop this?
When I started crond, I just did "sudo /etc/init.d/cron start"
Thanks,
- Ambrose
-
Ah ha!
I didn't think to check to see if two cron's were running, and that was it.
FYI, and 00:05 I get the e-mail with the time, and at 00:00 it sync's 
- Ambrose
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Yes, I know; but what is the real value of getting a mail at 5 minutes after midnight regardless? Wouldn't you rather get a mail at midnight from the clock-sync script? That lets you know if it ran Ok or not.
--Like so:
' ntpdate parm && date|mail -s "Clock sync script" ' (only sends the mail if return code from ntpdate = 0.) If you *don't* get the mail you know something went wronf. (humor intentional on the sp.)
--With 2 cron entries, the 5-after mail will be sent whether or not the ntpdate has run successfully; with the method above, you will know if it ran Ok.

Originally Posted by
Ambrose
Ah ha!
I didn't think to check to see if two cron's were running, and that was it.
FYI, and 00:05 I get the e-mail with the time, and at 00:00 it sync's
- Ambrose
Similar Threads
-
By edallica in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 04:22 AM
-
By ghetto_blaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 09:09 AM
-
By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:40 PM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95