-
Senior Member
registered user
Good Day All
The DVD is excellent. My main question was response speed
when operating from the DVD -- since my interest is live CD/DVD
use with no hard drive. My initial feeling is that the speed of
execution is comparable to the CD version. The speed number
rating of the DVD playback devices is unclear to me.
I did not know much about burning a DVD. I traveled 250 miles
to the University where they had one DVD burner on an
apple type computer. I purchased some disks but soon
found out that there are at least 3 types of blank disks.
I had gotten DVD+R and had to return them and get DVD-R.
Once burned, I found that not all DVD drives will play them.
Luckily our newer test computers had new DVD drives and
they worked great. So DVD has some maturing to do
before they are in standard use.
But I do not want to discourage the DVD movement in KNOPPIX.
Yes, knoppix is a Volkswagen movement. Perusing several
different formats may be problematic -- but the many new programs
and many possibilities on the DVD is makes it a fantastic medium.
I certainly vote for the DVD version being kept up to date.
Perhaps someone can tell us more about current DVD technology.
Report:
-- Knoppix index_en.html
KNOPPIX INFO (click) EN
How do I run KNOPPIX says to make an English boot disk use
rawrite2 –f boot-en.img –d A
I do not find a file named boot-en.img
But I have the English DVD and the boot.img file did make an
English version.
===> solution: include the file or delete the instruction. From the
shell using dd if=/mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
may also be useful for those already having linux running.
Best Wishes
paradocs
Similar Threads
-
By Gencho in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 09:00 AM
-
By CrashedAgain in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 01:43 AM
-
By Fabianx in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 09:12 AM
-
By Superstoned in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-14-2003, 06:10 PM
-
By LinuxAmateur in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-01-2003, 05:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01