Where and What do I do to get the Intel 536ep Modem to load drivers automatically.
I can install them mannualy and they work.
Intels script doesnt install correctlly on knoppix.
Thanks.........
Where and What do I do to get the Intel 536ep Modem to load drivers automatically.
I can install them mannualy and they work.
Intels script doesnt install correctlly on knoppix.
Thanks.........
Here's the Solution !
REF: http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Distrib..._Commands.html
1) Execute this command to find your default runlevel:
cat /etc/inittab | grep initdefault
You should see a line like this:
id:2:initdefault:
That means 2 is your default runleve. This may also be 3, or rarely 4 or 5.
2) Create your rc.local file like this (as root):
touch /etc/init.d/rc.local
chmod 774 /etc/init.d/rc.local
3) Set it to be run at boot time by doing this:
ln -s /etc/init.d/rc.local /etc/rcX.d/S99local
Replace the X with your default runlevel from step one. For example, rc2.d.
4) Edit your /etc/init.d/rc.local scrip
Below is my rc.local ....
# Install Intel Modem Drivers & Set Permissions
chmod a+rw /dev/modem
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS2
cd /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char
insmod -f 536epcore.o
insmod -f 536ep.o
NOTE: ttyS2 is for COM3 - Insert your COM
UPDATE!!!
# Install Intel Modem Drivers & Set Permissions
su -c "chmod a+rw /dev/Modem"
su -c "chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS2"
cd /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char
insmod -f 536epcore.o
insmod -f 536ep.o
Must use su -c to get Root and chmod .
I tried setting 1777 for /dev/modem from an terminal,
but after rebooting - the sticky bit was gone.
The above take's care of the problem.
Good Luck ...
Thanks for taking the time to post the solution to your own problem. I think we all appreciate it when people share in this way. Can this be added to the documentation (if it's not already there)? This is a popular modem.
just curious, why not just add the modules to be loaded to /etc/modules ? Every module in that file would be loaded automatically on boot.
As for the permission setting, I believe /dev/ttyS2 needs to be set only once and /dev/modem is usually just a symbolic link to whatever device(/dev/ttyS2 in this case) and I don't think permission on it really matters.
Also, since this is running under INIT, 'su' may not be needed as INIT is run under root(or can it be configured to run under some other user ID).
Another update:
You can put : #Install Intel Modem Drivers & Set Permissions
su -c "chmod a+rw /dev/modem"
su -c "chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS2"
cd /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char
insmod -f 536epcore.o
insmod -f 536ep.o
in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh (Instead of creating an rc.local).
My drivers always load, but I have to go into konsole an su
chmod a+rw /dev/modem.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00