Is there a bash command that I can use in a script to shut down a LiveUSB
Knoppix session which is using persistence and automatically rebooting
that Knoppix with the cheatcode 'noimage', for example?
Is there a bash command that I can use in a script to shut down a LiveUSB
Knoppix session which is using persistence and automatically rebooting
that Knoppix with the cheatcode 'noimage', for example?
Of course, you can write such a script which manipulates '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'.
look with "grep" if 'syslinux.cfg' contains the word "noimage"; if not, insert it with "sed", else do nothing.Code:myreboot noimage
And you need the other way
look with "grep" if 'syslinux.cfg' contains the word "noimage"; if so, delete it with "sed", else do nothing.Code:myreboot !noimage
But why expend so much time to develop such a script; it's easier to work on 'syslinux.cfg' with mcedit or leafpad if you really need it some time.
An alternative, and for me simpler, approach is to use a bootloader. I use old legacy GRUB, and there you can easily use a noimage boot alternative as the default. Which of course lets you override that manually. If you want a flip mechanism, you may set and manipulate the default alternative, principally the same way as Werner describes with syslinux boot.
Greetings, Werner & Capricorny.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
I have implemented a workable manipulation of the DEFAULT line in
syslinux.cfg adequate to my purposes.
I now have a working bash script to facilitate stacking compressed
images ala Klaus K's CeBIT scheme.
I also found Werner's menu management scheme of organization and use
of 'dialogs' very useful to build upon.
After I use this a while to catch some of my errors, I'll post it
for your comments.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG
$59.99
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99