-
Senior Member
registered user
Is there a way to bash script a reboot with a cheatcode?
Is there a bash command that I can use in a script to shut down a LiveUSB
Knoppix session which is using persistence and automatically rebooting
that Knoppix with the cheatcode 'noimage', for example?
-
Of course, you can write such a script which manipulates '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'.
look with "grep" if 'syslinux.cfg' contains the word "noimage"; if not, insert it with "sed", else do nothing.
And you need the other way
look with "grep" if 'syslinux.cfg' contains the word "noimage"; if so, delete it with "sed", else do nothing.
But why expend so much time to develop such a script; it's easier to work on 'syslinux.cfg' with mcedit or leafpad if you really need it some time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
An alternative, and for me simpler, approach is to use a bootloader. I use old legacy GRUB, and there you can easily use a noimage boot alternative as the default. Which of course lets you override that manually. If you want a flip mechanism, you may set and manipulate the default alternative, principally the same way as Werner describes with syslinux boot.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings, Werner & Capricorny.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
I have implemented a workable manipulation of the DEFAULT line in
syslinux.cfg adequate to my purposes.
I now have a working bash script to facilitate stacking compressed
images ala Klaus K's CeBIT scheme.
I also found Werner's menu management scheme of organization and use
of 'dialogs' very useful to build upon.
After I use this a while to catch some of my errors, I'll post it
for your comments.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99