Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: WindowMaker KNOPPIX 7.0.4 (DVD/USB)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2

    WindowMaker KNOPPIX 7.0.4 (DVD/USB)

    I've installed KNOPPIX 7.0.4 from DVD to a USB flash drive. I'm trying to get WindowMaker working on that.

    I've installed the wmaker packages through aptitude, and they appear to install correctly, but booting knoppix desktop=wmaker doesn't work and it appears that the WindowMaker installation is broken in some way. I don't have the error messages on hand but can provide them if needed.

    Is there some sort of procedure I should have followed in installing the packages?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I suppose that you installed the package wmaker. I would suggest that you try the following.

    Open an LXTerminal and issue
    Code:
    [ ! -e /home/knoppix/GNUstep/Defaults ] && mkdir -p /home/knoppix/GNUstep/Defaults
    wmgenmenu > /home/knoppix/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
    sudo leafpad /usr/bin/startwmaker
    This will create the root menu and open a new editor window. Enter the following lines.
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    exec /usr/bin/wmaker
    Save the file and exit leafpad. Issue the commands
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/startwmaker 
    restartx
    Select 'wmaker' and restart your session.

    If you want to shutdown the system you can issue
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    You could also edit the root menu with a text editor in order to add menu items.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thank you very much for your assistance. I was able to get WindowMaker working. I ended up reinstalling KNOPPIX onto the flash drive (incidentially the flash-knoppix program doesn't seem to really like overwiting KNOPPIX) I then executed the commands you provided as root. I had to chown the files to knoppix and also I believe create ~/GNUStep/WindowMaker. Restarting with knoppix desktop=wmaker works and I'm posting this from KNOPPIX 7 running WindowMaker. This all seems to be done automatically under Debian, if someone could look into why this isn't the case under KNOPPIX it would be great.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67