Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Any value in swap file if I have 2 GB RAM? Knoppix 7.0.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3

    Any value in swap file if I have 2 GB RAM? Knoppix 7.0.4

    I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with 2 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive that has 2 NTFS partitions for windows and a 44 GB FAT32 partition (sda3) from which I run Knoppix 7.0.4 (fromhd=/dev/sda3) with a 4GB persistent image. I boot from a 256 MB USB stick that I created with UNetbootin from the bootonly iso.

    My question is this. Since available RAM has not been a problem, is there any value in creating a swap file on sda3 using mkdosswap? If so, how big should it be and should I anticipate any problems?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    There are some occasions when you may need swap, but I think a general attitude nowadays is: Wait till you eventually run into them, and fix the swap problem then, when it has occurred. OTOH, with a 44GB partition available, you could of course set aside some of it for swap. Size is entirely dependent on the use. 1GB used to go a long way, and if your processor is 32 bits, above 4 is normally too much...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung Galaxy S10 10.9

Samsung Galaxy S10 10.9" FE 128GB WiFi Tablet SM-X520NZACXAR S-Pen Keyboard 2025

$299.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung - Galaxy Tab A11+ - 11

Samsung - Galaxy Tab A11+ - 11" 128GB - Wi-Fi - Gray - Brand new

$235.59



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$55.00



Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US

$51.77