- Is it OK that knoppix 7 seems to automaticaly login to user knoppix without a password!? is this secure? I have many partitions of different Distros on same Desktop!
Thanks
Uncle Sam![]()
- Is it OK that knoppix 7 seems to automaticaly login to user knoppix without a password!? is this secure? I have many partitions of different Distros on same Desktop!
Thanks
Uncle Sam![]()
Per default Knoppix doesn't offer any services, therefore it doesn't matter that user knoppix is without any password.
Knoppix is designed as a Live CD/DVD and not as a distribution to install on your computer for productive work. If you do it all the same, you have to take care for security by yourself. You have to disable "sudo" for user knoppix, you need a very good password for root, you need security updates. If you want to offer services like openssh-server or apache-server you have to read all about it and you have to configure this services as safely as possible.
I suppose in Future I will use knoppix as live CD/DVD only
Thanks
Sam
I'll only speak for myself:
I use almost exclusively Knoppix.
If you install to a master USB stick, setup that as wanted/needed, and regularly start Knoppix with a fresh copy of the master knoppix-data.img, you should have a good start.
Next, avoid any automounting, and mount partitions readonly as default. Write to them only when necessary.
Use new releases of Knoppix, and keep important components like Java and browser updated.
Be careful about auto-starting any services. Logging traffic may also be useful.
Used this way, I don't consider Knoppix very insecure.
knoppix offers an excellent service for the protection of personal data. Using persistent data encrypted with AES, I think it can be an adequate level of protection
To further increase the level of security, Inside knoppix-data.aes can have one or more extra encrypted aes images, protected by a different password, to store your really sensitive data (bank accounts, credit card code, xxx pics, private pgp key ....)
a simple script allows you to mount or unmount these data store
Note: The password can not be longer than 14 char.

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99