Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Any value in swap file if I have 2 GB RAM? Knoppix 7.0.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3

    Any value in swap file if I have 2 GB RAM? Knoppix 7.0.4

    I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with 2 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive that has 2 NTFS partitions for windows and a 44 GB FAT32 partition (sda3) from which I run Knoppix 7.0.4 (fromhd=/dev/sda3) with a 4GB persistent image. I boot from a 256 MB USB stick that I created with UNetbootin from the bootonly iso.

    My question is this. Since available RAM has not been a problem, is there any value in creating a swap file on sda3 using mkdosswap? If so, how big should it be and should I anticipate any problems?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    There are some occasions when you may need swap, but I think a general attitude nowadays is: Wait till you eventually run into them, and fix the swap problem then, when it has occurred. OTOH, with a 44GB partition available, you could of course set aside some of it for swap. Size is entirely dependent on the use. 1GB used to go a long way, and if your processor is 32 bits, above 4 is normally too much...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$75.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99