Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Remastering CD Puzzlement

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12

    Remastering CD Puzzlement

    Hello Fellow Remasterers,

    I've been wondering why one would go through all the steps,
    - swapfile
    - all the mounts ("bind" or otherwise).
    - chroot

    which make the procedure an order of magnitude more
    - complicated
    - error prone
    - lengthy

    instead of
    - just simply staying in the original environment
    - making the desired changes

    AND replacing
    cp -rp /KNOPPIX/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX

    with
    cp -rp /UNIONFS/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    rsync -aH ...
    ...

    when done setting up the new (to be remastered) system before
    the "regular" steps,
    genisoimage -input-charset ...
    etc.

    I'm probably missing something (big), but so far any
    remastered CD of v7.0.4 set up according to my wishes
    based on the above simpler procedure works without a hitch.

    Thanks

    P.S.
    1. My "wishes" above would be, for example, removing
    a few "non-essential" (for me) packages (like cuneiform-common,
    smbclient, etc.) to replace iceweasel and make room for
    the latest full firefox (15.0.1).

    2. I notice some other people have provided "non-chroot" solutions.
    They've been harder to follow for me as being graphical (as opposed to command line).
    I apologize to the authors for any overlap and any similarities are purely
    coincidental.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Code:
    cp -rp /UNIONFS/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    rsync -aH ...
    What about "cp" and "rsync"?
    Code:
    rsync -aH /UNIONFS/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
    will do the job.

    I use the new generated ISO only within a flash disk installation and didn't describe, how to build a new remastered CD using "rsync UNIONFS".

    But it is also possible to create a CD like your suggestion and omit the use of an USB stick.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphonsu View Post

    2. I notice some other people have provided "non-chroot" solutions.
    They've been harder to follow for me as being graphical (as opposed to command line).
    I apologize to the authors for any overlap and any similarities are purely
    coincidental.
    I don't think you have followed the discussions here very closely, for example following forrester's scripts and developments from that.

    I have posted updated scripts, CLI-only. (But I think they might be given a graphical wrapping , too.)

    I have successfully used Qemu running the ISO image even doing the whole remastering in a virtual machine. Bypassing any burning or initial installs. But it is faster (and I think simpler and safer) to create a USB install in Qemu, boot that and do the remastering stuff on a mounted HD partition.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99