-
Remastering CD Puzzlement
Hello Fellow Remasterers,
I've been wondering why one would go through all the steps,
- swapfile
- all the mounts ("bind" or otherwise).
- chroot
which make the procedure an order of magnitude more
- complicated
- error prone
- lengthy
instead of
- just simply staying in the original environment
- making the desired changes
AND replacing
cp -rp /KNOPPIX/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
with
cp -rp /UNIONFS/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
rsync -aH ...
...
when done setting up the new (to be remastered) system before
the "regular" steps,
genisoimage -input-charset ...
etc.
I'm probably missing something (big), but so far any
remastered CD of v7.0.4 set up according to my wishes
based on the above simpler procedure works without a hitch.
Thanks
P.S.
1. My "wishes" above would be, for example, removing
a few "non-essential" (for me) packages (like cuneiform-common,
smbclient, etc.) to replace iceweasel and make room for
the latest full firefox (15.0.1).
2. I notice some other people have provided "non-chroot" solutions.
They've been harder to follow for me as being graphical (as opposed to command line).
I apologize to the authors for any overlap and any similarities are purely
coincidental.
-
Code:
cp -rp /UNIONFS/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
rsync -aH ...
What about "cp" and "rsync"?
Code:
rsync -aH /UNIONFS/* $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX
will do the job.
I use the new generated ISO only within a flash disk installation and didn't describe, how to build a new remastered CD using "rsync UNIONFS".
But it is also possible to create a CD like your suggestion and omit the use of an USB stick.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Alphonsu
2. I notice some other people have provided "non-chroot" solutions.
They've been harder to follow for me as being graphical (as opposed to command line).
I apologize to the authors for any overlap and any similarities are purely
coincidental.
I don't think you have followed the discussions here very closely, for example following forrester's scripts and developments from that.
I have posted updated scripts, CLI-only. (But I think they might be given a graphical wrapping , too.)
I have successfully used Qemu running the ISO image even doing the whole remastering in a virtual machine. Bypassing any burning or initial installs. But it is faster (and I think simpler and safer) to create a USB install in Qemu, boot that and do the remastering stuff on a mounted HD partition.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse
$995.00

Apple Macintosh 128k 1984 upgraded to Plus includes keyboard mouse
$450.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

Vintage Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 ~ Powers On
$250.00

Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 (Powers On)
$250.00

Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 ~ (Powers On)
$250.00

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00