Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix on a diskless computer?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix on a diskless computer?

    Hi all,

    I have installed Knoppix on a laptop with a dead hard drive (because I can't afford to put a new disk in and I still want to use the laptop). It seems to work OK but when I go to slashdot (as you do) it gets to a certain point during the page load and the standard "ice" browser breaks up into cubes (ie crashes). Many websites work fine but a lot of them don't. I have a feeling that the browser is trying to write something to the non-existent hard drive and the OS isn't handling the exception correctly.

    Has anyone poked around in this area of the code? Is that what is happening.

    Could I do a workaround by putting a USB in and somehow pointing the browser to that for it's cookies or whatever it is trying to write?

    Regards,
    Jack42

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Install Knoppix to a USB stick, setup a large enough (say, 2-3 GB) persistent store and run.
    You never have to access a hard disk with Knoppix, and using USB3 sticks will usually speed up quite a bit also with USB2.
    Very often, I run Knoppix on a with no access to the hard disk(s). No problem for me. (Less than top speed isn't a problem for me )

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2

    I'll try a USB stick

    I'll try loading the ISO on a USB stick and see what happens. I guess I'll have to do something funky with the start up parameters to boot from a USB?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$8999.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99