Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: just got Knoppix & flashed to USB ... amazing! however, a couple of questions ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    just got Knoppix & flashed to USB ... amazing! however, a couple of questions ...

    First time I ran off usb, it knew it was first time.
    Second time, it remembered my previous settings (ie wireless name, password details, etc)
    So first question - does it save these settings into the "overlay"?
    What about
    What do I do if I wanted to clear everything from start?

    Secondly, I read somewhere that there is no need for antivirus, but is this true? surely my documents, files, settings, favourites, or anything else in the overlay are open to attack.

    Also worse is that I have access to the C drive on the PC, so isnt it possible for any kind of malware to read and do things to and from c drive?

    Anyway, I think knoppix is flipping BRILLIANT. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I also think knoppix is amazing. Some features are fantastic and some basics have been hard to figure out. On and off, I pickup the quest.

    Like you, I'm not convinced that viruses couldn't be an issue. Also, technically potential malware does not have to be a virus. Bad programs can make their way onto our computers by installations and attachments to emails.

    This forum gives a chance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Sure there may be risks involved. One simple safety rule is to NEVER automount hard disk partitions, and, generally, be careful with USB media too. With Knoppix, you can always start afresh, by using, for example, a USB install as "master" and routinely copy from that to, for example, a harddisk partition you use for running. Then any infection will soon be wiped out. Documents could be checked in and out from some place with good virus scanning facilities.

    I also disallow scripts by default, and try to have them permanently allowed only for trustworthy sites, typically using "temporarily allow" for news sites and unknown sites. If you use for example gmail for viewing attachments instead of downloading and handling locally, I would think it is safer, too - try to avoid doinr risky things locally.

    IMHO, the way you use the machine is much more important for security than any anti-virus protection. The worst thing with anti-virus, is that it can encourage unsafe practices, people think they are protected.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainkorky View Post
    Also worse is that I have access to the C drive on the PC, so isnt it possible for any kind of malware to read and do things to and from c drive?
    In addition to Capricorny's advice, I'd add the following:

    1. To prevent your C-drive frome being automatically mounted,
    Set your PCManFM preferences as follows:

    PCManFM>Edit>Preferences>Volume Management>(un-check) 'Mount mountable volumes automatically.

    That is UN-CHECK the mount volumes automatically preference.

    2. If you use flash, also use NoScript or an equivalent script blocker.

    3. Don't download any 'enclosure' from an unknown source, e-mail or otherwise.
    Last edited by utu; 02-01-2013 at 11:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    After booting from a flash drive, in PCManFM the box for "Mount mountable volumes automatically on program startup" is unchecked, yet I can click on the laptop drive icon and see the laptop files just fine - is this the way it should work (doesn't ask to mount)?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 Desktop CPU 96MB L3 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 Desktop CPU 96MB L3

$360.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98