I think that you should create an initial ramdisk with an init script that translates the UUID to the physical device. There is a program called mkinitramfs that can help you create such a ramdisk.
Hello,
I've installed Knoppix 7.0.4 on a pedrive. It boots fine with default GRUB (0.97). I want to boot the system in situations where there are no extra ata/sata drives (as it works after install) and if a drive is left attached. In that case I get kernel panic. I've read somewhere that booting by UUID may help but in GRUB2. I updated my installation to GRUB2. Now I have GRUB menu and chained GRUB2 menu. Original boot works with pendrive only. From GRUB2 entries none boots. I get message:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).
I've struggled with this for a few days now and seems reached timeout on digging this without help.
Anyone could route me to set this up correctly?
Some parts of setup
Code:# df -T Filesystem Type 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on rootfs rootfs 6663664 2222080 4441584 34% / /dev/root reiserfs 6663664 2222080 4441584 34% / tmpfs tmpfs 2097152 8 2097144 1% /tmp udev tmpfs 20480 4 20476 1% /dev tmpfs tmpfs 2097152 0 2097152 0% /dev/shmgrub.cfgCode:# ll /dev/disk/by-uuid/ total 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 19 19:39 7265a1af-9120-4bea-a824-2f884e9fe30c -> ../../sda1 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Oct 19 19:39 b53f110b-a202-45d0-ac7a-ac6615507484 -> ../../zram0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 19 19:39 ebca161b-33b0-4a6e-9c9c-cc5d1868f6ca -> ../../sda2
My target is to have a hot-swapable station. Hot-Swap works like a charm as the system us running. The problem is that after reboot it won't boot from USB because of mentioned error. From my POV looks like SATA/ATA(/USB?) are logically before the booting pendrive and at position hd(0,1) drive is not the one expected.Code:menuentry 'Knoppix' { insmod gzio insmod part_msdos insmod reiserfs search --no-floppy --fs-uuid ebca161b-33b0-4a6e-9c9c-cc5d1868f6ca --set root echo 'Loading Linux 3.4.9 ...' linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.9 root=UUID=ebca161b-33b0-4a6e-9c9c-cc5d1868f6ca ro quiet }
I think that you should create an initial ramdisk with an init script that translates the UUID to the physical device. There is a program called mkinitramfs that can help you create such a ramdisk.
Indeed that helpedCreating initrd.img with mentioned tool, removing the 'root' line, and changing kernels root= to use UUID. Now it swings. No the issue is that hdd list seems rebuilding every boot and when addtional drives are in, the booted one is not /dev/sda but gets later letters.

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99