-
wrong keyboard -- please help
Greetings,
In spite of my mewbee status my earlier recolections of having once experimented an old knoppix distro which produced me a substantial surprised pleasure to deal with and this led me recently to try and succeed to install 7.04 with NO apparent problems to my happy fortune. But it did not last long. Soon i realized that through out some missed step -- i do not recall when or why -- my installation while abiding to time zone and locale (i think), did not comply keyboardwise with my hardware.
I must declare i'm a double nationality individual: born in Portugal - portuguese father, american mother. My option, when dealing with computer matters is using English and so i selected en language for the said installation and i swear i remember to have assigned pt-latin 1 (i think) when referring my laptop keyboard...But now i'm stuck with
a US keyboard, which is an unconfortable deficit for everyday Knoppix use.
I' using a ZORIN 5.2 also installed distro in order to write thishere SOS: i would much appreciate if any kind soul would dedicate some minutes to teach me (a total Linux 'ignoramus') a not so difficult way to change keyboard definition within installed Knoppix 7.04.
I'm sorry to highlight again: it wil have to assume a very step-by-step, clear format or
else i will not be able to execute it.
I hope i' m not condemned to re-install knoppix on account of this issue.
Thanks for your possible attention and assistance.
Kind regards.
-
Thanks for your attention: it has been most enlightning.
I reformated to reiserfs the knoppix partition. And very attentively attempted correctly re-installed KNOPPIX 7.04 in its own previous partition. Since the very beginning when after having intended boot with lang=pt; where i was imediately informed
PT option was NOT available, i persisted and insisted in my re-installment. And the fact was that IT DID NOT EVEN ASKED
about my ID (name or user name password for user or password for root -- nothing! But it installed the very same version:
us keyboard. After intensive research, I tried sudo dpkg -reconfigure-keyboard-configuration and sudo nano/etc/defaultkeyboard in order gto replace XKBLAYOUT="us" to "pt" only to learn that Knoppix does not accept such a change!
So i'm left just one final option: once KNOPPIX does not care about PT, i choose not to care about knoppix anymore.
I bid you farewell.
-
Does the knoppix cheat codes not work? http://smtp.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
### Language/Country ###
knoppix lang=ch|cn|de|da|es|fr|it specify language/keyboard
knoppix lang=nl|pl|ru|sk|tr|tw|us specify language/keyboard
knoppix keyboard=us xkeyboard=us Use different keyboard (text/X)
knoppix utc Use Universal Time [Hint: 1]
knoppix tz=Europe/Berlin Use this timezone for TZ
(default: tz=localtime)
I find that these re limited for the CD version, as it comes with a lot less. The DVD version seems to have every program ever invented by man since the beginning of time pre-installed!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings pastabake.
hneves only stuck around for only 26 hours before he bid us farewell.
I think his problem was that syslinux didn't handle reiserfs. See
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/145...serfs-any-idea
Now, Knoppix 7.0.5 has grub rather than syslinux and handles
reiserfs ok. He might benefit from your insights now, if he were
to return.
I, too, prefer the CD-size Knoppixes, but I'm resisting grub.
-
Now, Knoppix 7.0.5 has grub rather than syslinux and handles
reiserfs ok.
Why do you think so? I can only see HD installation is using grub as in earlier versions.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
Why do you think so?
Greetings, Werner.
My current 7.0.5 cd-size LiveUSB made with flash-disk2 is just made that way.
Must be KK's work, cause I wouldn't be able to do that on my own. 
Grub looks complicated relative to syslinux. I guessed that from
the 2003 link it was necessary because of reiserfs. Since minirt.gz
might handle the situation, I'd be pleased to see the problem
solved there rather than complicate the boot process.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$349.95