You should read some of the text in 'Draft', Werner.
I studied it carefully.
I am not clear on your insistence on .img as a 'device'.
Creating a persistent memory includes three steps:
make a file of max 4 GB (knoppix-data.img)
format it with ext2 filesystem
mount this device (/dev/loop0) on /KNOPPIX-DATA
In my example (CD flash installation on a 4 GB USB stick and 3.1 GB persistent memory) you can see, this device (persistent memory) works like a drive; within this drive 479 MB are used and 2.6 GB are available.
Why, for Heaven's sake, shall I save the whole 3.1 GB device and not only the content of 479 MB of this drive? Apart from doing so, there is no space left on the USB stick to go your way. And last but not least, it doesn't make sense, not to store a backup on a different medium.