Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wrong md5 and sha1 sums

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6

    Wrong md5 and sha1 sums

    Hi,

    I downloaded http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...2-08-20-DE.iso
    and ran md5sum (8758cd0db7fb630b91f7818a9da0cb7a) and sha1sum (ea9dc6c3488c3d17250dde6d994db6c7a13c3b1. Both do not match the hashes that are shown in http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...-20-DE.iso.md5 and
    http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...20-DE.iso.sha1

    Can someone verify whether this is just me?
    Earlier this year I got the Knoppix DVD from CEBIT with one of the linux magazines and it was giving errors regarding the hashes. Later on, Klaus acknowledged an error with those DVDs. I hope this hasn't happened again.

    Thank you very much in advance!

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    It doesn't happened with 7.04. You have a download error.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    .
    For md5sum check,
    make sure there are TWO spaces between the checksum and the filename.
    Last edited by utu; 11-09-2012 at 10:07 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Download KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-DE.iso and KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-DE.iso.md5 and

    Code:
    md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-EN.iso.md5
    will do the job. Hint: use autocompletion within the terminal.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 11-09-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: error correction

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Download KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-DE.iso and KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-DE.iso.md5 and

    Code:
    md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-EN.iso.md5
    will do the job. Hint: use autocompletion within the terminal.
    I do not have any KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-2012-08-20-EN.iso.md5 file.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Porteno.
    See the following thread for two examples at posts #3 and #4.

    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/302...ghlight=md5sum

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Hi!

    Thank you for all the hints! I downloaded it again. The files have the exact same size. But I have another different hash. md5sum -c says that the checksum doesn't fit.
    My line must be really bad. If I tried via bittorrent, should the same md5 hash file as posted on the ftp site work as well?

    Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Hi again!

    I downloaded it via bittorrent. md5 and sha1 is ok now. The file has the same size as the other 2 that failed. I did a binary compare between the working file and the first file that failed and found that one hexadecimal D had turned into a 9 - from 9D to 99. After I corrected it, the md5sum -c showed OK.

    Thank you for your support!

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Sorry I got these threads mixed up. utu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99