Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Set "toram" To Default Boot Option? Config File Change on USB install or Remaster?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Set "toram" To Default Boot Option? Config File Change on USB install or Remaster?

    I'm not sure if remastering is actually required or not, but my question definitely falls under "customizing" so I hope I have the right forum. To give some background... What I am trying to do is repurpose an Intel Atom-based system as a low-power NAS. The thing is it doesn't have a lot of SATA ports - only 2 in fact - and I'd rather leave them both open for drives that I can use purely for storage and move easily. So I pick up my Knoppix CD and install on USB, because USB doesn't require a SATA port. Then I start installing the software I'm going to want for reading my filesystems and giving file transfer access and all is going well, and thanks to persistence (yay USB!) my changes to the base image are saved across reboots. But then I think to myself - what if the USB drive fails? Consumer USB drives aren't exactly made of tough stuff, and even if I only write a scratch file every day, re-writing to the same location might just wear it out in a few months, then I'd lose everything and have to start over. Luckily Knoppix has a solution for that too - I can use the "knoppix toram" cheat and simply load the whole thing to RAM, and should it ever fail (eg. a few bit flip in the RAM disc) all I need to do is restart the box, because the USB won't have been used at all... I can even take it out if I want to. This all lead me to my present question: Once I get my USB image set up with all the packages I want and no longer see a reason to change it, is there a file I can edit somewhere that will ensure that every time that USB drive is used the "knoppix toram" cheat is applied? Do I have to remaster, or can I simply edit a file to achieve what I want? If I must remaster, can someone point me at what I need to remaster exactly? I can't seem to find any documentation on how that "boot" prompt is handled as relates to default. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think you should edit the configuration file syslinux.cfg on your USB device and add the cheat codes you need. You can read more about this file in the wiki at syslinux.org.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Ah, I see. I had looked at that file but as it did not contain any arguments to commands I (for no good reason) decided that I wouldn't be able to simply add them in under the default. That works great for me, thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95