Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How do I get VNC access running?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Question How do I get VNC access running?

    KNOPPIX_V7.0.4CD-2012-08-20-EN ..... Boy, this is great! It really looks good.

    I'm an old has-been and haven't used anything modern for years. I've been stuck using XP and W7, so as of this date I'm a newb.

    I started SSH and can get in with Putty fine.

    I don't know how (or if by default) to start the X11 server so that I can use TightVNC on a W7 machine to access the desktop on the LiveCD machine. I've set a root password.

    I tried and failed:
    x11vnc -display :0 -forever -passwd "ruby" &
    x11vnc
    x11vnc -display
    ...and...:
    x11vnc -create
    The last command I get:

    x11vnc version: 0.9.13 lastmod: 2011-08-10 pid: 5330
    17/11/2012 16:28:05
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 wait_for_client: WAIT:cmd=FINDCREATEDISPLAY-Xvfb
    17/11/2012 16:28:05
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 initialize_screen: fb_depth/fb_bpp/fb_Bpl 24/32/2560
    17/11/2012 16:28:05
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 Autoprobing TCP port
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 Autoprobing selected TCP port 5900
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 Autoprobing TCP6 port
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 Autoprobing selected TCP6 port 5900
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 listen6: bind: Address already in use
    17/11/2012 16:28:05 Not listening on IPv6 interface.
    17/11/2012 16:28:05

    The VNC desktop is: Microknoppix:0
    PORT=5900
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 Got connection from client 192.168.1.69
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 other clients:
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 Normal socket connection
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 incr accepted_client=1 for 192.168.1.69:9379 sock=5
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 wait_for_client: got client
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 Client Protocol Version 3.8
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 Protocol version sent 3.8, using 3.8
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 client progressed=1 in 6/8 0.013057 s
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 client useCopyRect: 192.168.1.69 0
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 client_set_net: 192.168.1.69 0.0128
    17/11/2012 16:28:25 wait_for_client: running: env X11VNC_SKIP_DISPLAY='' /bin/sh /tmp/x11vnc-find_display.ZGed3J

    The program "Xvfb" could not be found in PATH and standard locations.
    You probably need to install a package that provides the "Xvfb" program.
    Without it FINDCREATEDISPLAY mode may not be able to create an X display.

    xauth: file /root/.Xauthority does not exist
    17/11/2012 16:28:26 wait_for_client: find display cmd failed.
    17/11/2012 16:28:26 wait_for_client: FINDCREATEDISPLAY cmd: /bin/sh /tmp/x11vnc-find_display.ZGed3J Xvfb
    trying N=20 ...

    The program "Xvfb" could not be found in PATH and standard locations.
    You probably need to install a package that provides the "Xvfb" program.

    17/11/2012 16:28:29 wait_for_client: read failed: /bin/sh /tmp/x11vnc-find_display.ZGed3J Xvfb
    17/11/2012 16:28:29 fgets: No such file or directory


    The other commands just failed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know how to work with a LiveCD. Do I need to create a config file? Can I save it to the CD-RW? Do I need to download and install something from the Debian repo and modify the CD? I know it is probably something simple.

    Thanks in advance.

    PS. I got the access to windows machines running fine. Is there a way to setup access to the LiveCD machine from windows machines?

    The last time (years and years) I did this we used samba, but that was an installed machine and not a CD (let alone something as modern as 7.04).

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up RE: Previous post about VNC

    OK, I figured it out. Sorry.

    You have to run the x11vnc command from the LiveCD machine since thats the x11 server ...duh

    I was running the commands via a remote terminal session. There may be a way to do that but I just walked across the room and typed x11vnc in the local terminal as su and bingo.

    ok, ok, go ahead and throw things.....
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 11-18-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95