have a Western Digital Mybook Essential external HDD 2TB which is password locked. Well with my old OS it showed me that is unlocked, but as I changed the OS it's showing that is locked, I've already tried all the possible combinations of passwords that I could remember but no luck. I'm usin Knoppix now to access the HDD somehow but I don't know how.
- fdisk -l doesn't show the HDD.
- lsusb is showing me that it's connected
In /media/sr1 appears the WD Unlocker mounted, but the HDD itself is not showing. If I can't access the HDD by bypassing the lock then it's even possible then to retrieve the data from it if I format the locked HDD?Because as I've read the hardware locked devices have a formating technique after which the data cannot be retrieved(Is this true?).

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00