-
8.1 or 8.2 boot from loopback and 8.2 boot from ISO on HD with persistence
Just in case this will help anyone else, as I always forget how to do this, even though its been explained to me more that once (thanks to those patient enough). I am putting it in my own words from my own system to try to hammer it into my thick skull. Too bad we don't have 8.3 or 8.5 assuming they are better. I looked at the site selling the magazine and it says its a PDF which makes no sense, and after all the effort I don't want to pay $15 for a DVD. I wish Mr Knopper would offer a $5 download of current code. That would be sensible. I like his choices of games a lot.
Anyway, This is my /etc/grub.d/40_custom file stored on my main OS which is antiX on /dev/sda1. After editing the file sudo update-grub needs to be run to generate the new grub.cfg. Then when you reboot it gets used.
On my system:
/dev/sda3 has directories where ISO files are stored to boot from loopback. It runs exactly as it would have from flashdrive or DVD, and no changes are saved.
/dev/sda7 was formatted to Ext4, then Knoppix 8.2 was loaded by booting Knoppix 8.2 from flashdrive with tohd=/dev/sda7. I then renamed the file /KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.inf to was-knoppix-data.inf so that the mkimage boot parameter would ask how big of a persistence file to build and then build it the next time I booted into it. Note the nocompiz does the same thing as no3d (which now crashes the machine) used to do for older versions.
Code:
menuentry "Knoppix 8.2 DVD ISO Loopback" {
set isofile="/knoppix-8.2/KNOPPIX_V8.2-2018-05-10-EN.iso"
loopback loop (hd0,3)$isofile
echo "Loading Knoppix 8.2 linux"
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux bootfrom=/dev/sda3$isofile keyboard=us lang=en tz=America/Chicago nocompiz
echo "Loading minirt"
initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}
menuentry "Knoppix 8.1 DVD ISO Loopback" {
set isofile="/knoppix-8.1/KNOPPIX_V8.1-2017-09-05-EN.iso"
loopback loop (hd0,3)$isofile
echo "Loading Knoppix 8.1 linux"
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux bootfrom=/dev/sda3$isofile keyboard=us lang=en tz=America/Chicago no3d nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
echo "Loading minirt"
initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}
menuentry "Knoppix 8.2 from /dev/sda7" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos7'
linux /KNOPPIX/linux64 knoppix_dir=/KNOPPIX mkimage keyboard=us lang=us tz=America/Chicago nocompiz
initrd /KNOPPIX/minirt.gz
}
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99