-
how to mount .aes persistent file
Hello All,
I am new to Linux and to Knoppix.
I installed Knoppix 7.0.4 on my usb stick (ext3), and I also created
a .img persistent file which is not encrypted.
I worked on it for few days, installed some stuff here and there, and life were good.
I later realized I want to create an encrypted .aes persistent file,
so I moved the knoppix-data.img file to another partition on my usb stick,
I changed its name to "nocrypt-persist.img", and I restarted Knoppix (booted from the usb stick).
Sure enough I got the option to create a new persistent file and I created
a .aes file which is named knoppix-data.aes and is located in the KNOPPIX folder.
I now want to transfer all the saved configurations form the old .img file
to the new .aes file .
I booted my Ubuntu laptop and connected my usb stick, with the intention
to mount the .img file and the .aes file, and transfer data between them.
The .img file was mounted with the command:
sudo mount /media/sdb1/nocrypt-persist.img /media/nocrypt -o loop
And it works like a charm. I am able to navigate into it and see its content.
I got stuck when I tried to do the same for the .aes file .
I tried to mount it with the command:
sudo mount /media/sdb1/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes /media/aes -o loop,encryption=aes
It ask me for the ubuntu password (due to the "sudo") and I type it - ok .
It then ask me for the aes password, I type it but it gives the following message:
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
I don't want to redo everything. I want to do it the smart way
and I want to learn to mount a .aes file .
I exhausted google, and also exhausted Knoppix knowledge base.
I also tried all kinds of encryption options in the mount command:
256, aes256, but it just keeps giving the same "ioctl:...." message .
As I mentioned above - I am stuck .
Well, I thought it might be helpful if I add my mtab file, so here it is:
/dev/sda5 / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
none /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
none /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/chitti/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=chitti 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /media/Knoppix_7_on_Bla ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/0AEB94CE78177026 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_p ermissions 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/loop0 /media/nocrypt ext2 rw 0 0
Any assistance appreciated.
Thank you,
nopics.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$218.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99

Lenovo THINKPAD L15 GEN 4 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$245.00