-
Few newbie questions
Ahh yes, my first machine had two 5 and a something floppies, dip switches, and about 512 something bytes of RAM. So with that and DOS 2.8 I made entry into the fascinating world of PCing. I now have WIN XP pro, an eighty gig HD with four NTFS part's, pen 4 CPU and three gigs of RAM. My machine will shortly recieve a new MB, I'm thinking an ASUS with the priciest Intel i-frame. Be that as it may, I am going to be dinking around with the knoppix live ver. as I wish to flee the wrath of MS and Co. Hmm, I was using a proxy during a WIN update session and got my VLN key invalidated, lucky I had a spare lying around, heh, but realized, why, why stay with a gizmo that becomes obsolete every year, when I can run a system that is better. So, here I am, in a nutshell.
My first question is how will Linux deal with the NTFS? What is the preferred format for Linux? Do I have to have a swap (file) part. with a HD installation of Linux. I got rid of MS pagefile after I found out I could. I was concerned about the function of it, plus the HD resource (usage) of it made me despondent.
Anyway, I'll come back in a day or so, and relate my experience using the Linux live CD.
Cheers
Jeffrey Mc
-
Basically, M$oft wants to treat your hard drive like their property; you can use it, but only if you go through them to touch it. Fortunately, Knoppix has the ntfs-3g driver, so you can read and/or write the NTFS partition, with some caveats. See the news section announcement on the current state of affairs here.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
I haven't had any issues reading windows drives, that I think are NTFS. At the moment I can't remember the linux command to tell.
-
Using the diskutility from the accessories menu, I verified that my laptop drive is an NTFS partition. I can explore the drive with the file manager launched by the icon from the task bar.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99