Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: knoppix-terminalserver NOT AUTHENTICATED

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17

    knoppix-terminalserver NOT AUTHENTICATED

    when I "mark all upgrades" in synaptic, I get the above, which is surprising since the package is maintained by klaus knopper. I can I trust it for upgrade?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, dunnthebum.

    It is probably not a good idea to generally upgrade Knoppix, except by starting
    over with a newly numbered distribution. For example, don't generally expect to
    upgrade 705, wait for 706.

    This is not to say that on an app by app basis these may be upgraded, just it
    it is not a good idea to do so generally.

    The basic reason is that Klaus K may mix different versions of Debian. He knows
    what he's doing.

    Otherwise, Synaptic can be your friend.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17

    now I've broken packages

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings, dunnthebum.

    It is probably not a good idea to generally upgrade Knoppix, except by starting
    over with a newly numbered distribution. For example, don't generally expect to
    upgrade 705, wait for 706.

    This is not to say that on an app by app basis these may be upgraded, just it
    it is not a good idea to do so generally.

    The basic reason is that Klaus K may mix different versions of Debian. He knows
    what he's doing.

    Otherwise, Synaptic can be your friend.
    thanks I've attached 2 screenshots showing broken situation. What should I do next?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I'd probably start over with a clean install.
    I don't purge things, I ignore them.
    Avoids dependency hell problems.
    YMMV
    I'm a LiveUSB type. A new install is really fast for me.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I'd probably start over with a clean install.
    I don't purge things, I ignore them.
    Avoids dependency hell problems.
    YMMV
    I'm a LiveUSB type. A new install is really fast for me.
    Ok. You ignore them, but do they ignore you?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by dunnthebum View Post
    Ok. You ignore them, but do they ignore you?
    You have a point, but with Klaus K the distrutor, and my need 98% met with the CD version,
    I feel pretty safe. Safer than if I started 'pruning things'. I always get my dependencies screwed
    up when I try that. No two people ever agree on a 'minimum' distro. Klaus K comes awfully
    close to my selection with the Knoppix CD iso.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    You have a point, but with Klaus K the distrutor, and my need 98% met with the CD version,
    I feel pretty safe. Safer than if I started 'pruning things'. I always get my dependencies screwed
    up when I try that. No two people ever agree on a 'minimum' distro. Klaus K comes awfully
    close to my selection with the Knoppix CD iso.
    Just discovered I was on 7.0.4. So now i'm downloading 7.0.5. Should I upgrade everything once I've done that?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    705 _IS_ the upgrade to 704. The work is all done for you.
    New, late kernel and all its dependencies and unique patches.
    Most apps upgraded to the latest.
    Plus a completely new reiserfs option for persistence.

    Soon after CeBIT in March will be yet another new Knoppix upgrade,
    probably to 7.1 or so.

    My advice, FWIW:
    DO NOT try to 'further upgrade' by any means until you
    get familiar with Klaus K's own upgrade cycle.
    He's usually 'way ahead of most of us.
    Selectively tinker with those areas you are yourself expert in, but not
    the OS itself, is my advice unless your are yourself very OS-experienced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC picture

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC

$73.00