Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    I am back and still confused.
    When I started this thread (post #1), I called for help when I could not use the Knoppix installer (experimental version) to install Knoppix 7.0.5 to a Sandisk Ultra 32GB with the 'p' option.
    I tokk another USB key, this time a Sandisk Ultra 16GB. The 'p' option worked like a breeze, giving me an ovverlay of almost 12GB.
    Does it mean that my Sandisk Ultra 32GB is rotten? Probably not, because it allowed me to install with the 'i' option. Note, howeer, that Knoppix at first refused to boot. I had the FAT32 partition checked by GParted and rebooted : all OK now and Knoppix gladly created the traditional 4GB persistent image.
    Where do I/we go from there?

  2. #2
    Member Blacksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    93
    Philo, try this:
    - syslinux -if /dev/sdx (replace sdx with your Sandisk Ultra 32GB)
    - Format FAT32 the whole USB with Gparted and set boot flag
    - Again the Flash-Knoppix2

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Thanks Blacksimon. I tried this with my 32GB key:
    step #1
    I typed in a terminal : "ssyslinux -if /dev/sde" but it complained sayiing: 'invalid media signature (not a fat system?)".
    step #2
    I then create a small FAT32 partition at the beginning of the key, with GParted.
    and typed "syslinux -if /dev/sde1". The command was accepted.
    step #3
    I formated the whole key in FAT32 with GParted and added the boot flag.
    step #4
    Next I run knoppix installer with the 'p' option and again received the infamous error message that the "overlay is too small".
    So no joy so far.

    Note - Not better if the whole key was formated in FAT32 before doing step #1.

  4. #4
    Member Blacksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    93
    try to remove partition and then recreate....i don't know

    do not give up....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Thanks for all your advice and encouragements, Blacksimon, but I shall not continue to bother this forum with my small problem.
    If I find the solution I'll let you know.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Hello STraute,
    My post #22 was written before you sent your post #21. Probably took some time for the moderator to check my spelling or whatever before allowing it to be published.
    I read your posts #11 and 21 a number of times and decided to try #21.
    I have been using Knoppix since 5.x but I am always hesitant to put my head under the hood.
    I did this time and it worked! I have a 26GB overlay.I am so grateful.
    I still wonder why I could format my Sandisk 16GB with the orginal script, but not the 32GB.
    Maybe Klaus should modify the script.
    I have a subsidiary question. Come Knoppix 7.0.6 etc, shall I be able to import my 26GB overlay into a new version of the program?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    I just popped in to grab the suggested change by STraute for a fresh install on my work laptop and realised I did not reply to this thread to verify if I got this solved, at least for myself. Testing the default flash-knoppix2 using 3 flash drives (Sandisk Cruiser 8GB, Verbatim Tuff'n'Tiny 8GB and Centon PRO 16GB) all failed with my previously indicated message. Using the suggested change to the script in post #11 I am now able to use the experimental install with persistant reiserfs partition on all sticks. I really hope this change makes it into the next release (and that STraute gets all the credit ;,,; Happy Penguining!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15

    Wink Feedback on patch to "flash-knoppix2"

    Hello ssanubis

    Quote Originally Posted by ssanubis View Post
    I just popped in to grab the suggested change by STraute for a fresh install on my work laptop and realised I did not reply to this thread to verify if I got this solved, at least for myself. Testing the default flash-knoppix2 using 3 flash drives (Sandisk Cruiser 8GB, Verbatim Tuff'n'Tiny 8GB and Centon PRO 16GB) all failed with my previously indicated message. Using the suggested change to the script in post #11 I am now able to use the experimental install with persistant reiserfs partition on all sticks.
    Thank You for this feedback. I hope it can motivate others to try the patch.
    Both the patch from post #11 and the change described in post #21 are essentially the same,
    only post #11 is somewhat more technical.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanubis View Post
    I really hope this change makes it into the next release
    Before even contributing to this thread, I had sent the patch to Klaus Knopper (using the web form). He was friendly enough to reply via Mail that he would use the patch for the next release. (I'm only posting here to tide you all over until then . )

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15

    Lightbulb Fixing "/usr/bin/flash-knoppix2" for fractional MiB media capacity values

    Hello philo

    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Thanks Blacksimon. I tried this with my 32GB key:
    [[...]]
    step #4
    Next I run knoppix installer with the 'p' option and again received the infamous error message that the "overlay is too small".
    So no joy so far.

    Note - Not better if the whole key was formated in FAT32 before doing step #1.
    Before the /usr/bin/flash-knoppix2 script can fail, it should show you
    a dialog with a list of storage devices. In that list your 32 GB key should appear
    with a storage capacity/size value (in MiB). If that value is a fractional/floating point value
    (with something like ".5" or ".25" at the end), then you have found the
    reason for the failure and the overlay is too small message: The script performs calculations
    with that value, but these fail (with shell error message) and return a zero value.
    You can fix this yourself by changing the script, making it suppress the
    decimal fraction before the calculations take place.
    In the line reading (at line number ca. 367):
    total="$(awk '{print ($1 / 2048 )}' /sys/block/"${FLASH##*/}"/size 2>/dev/null)"
    Change the part that reads:
    print ($1 / 2048 )
    to:
    printf( "%d", ($1 / 2048 ) )
    This change can be performed even in a Knoppix booted from a DVD- or CD-ROM, with a
    Text editor of your choice (nano is simple to use). Your change will reside in the RAM overlay.
    I could successfully use this changed script to create a flash storage medium with
    a big (7 GiB) reiserfs overlay filesystem, without having to prepare any partitions on it
    (I only had an empty parition table there).
    I hope I this helps. I hope I have correctly understood Your problem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Hello STraute,
    Thanks for your post #24 and for finding the time to prepare such a detailed reply.
    All that information will also be useful to other readers of this forum.
    I am definitely a Junior Member here now and for a long time to come but I shall recoomend you for a quick upgrade to full membership.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00