Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15

    A patch for "/usr/bin/flash-knoppix2" fixing the error "Overlay size is too small..."

    Just like philo I attempted to use the experimental /usr/bin/flash-knoppix2 to create a USB flash storage medium with a big reiserfs rw overlay partition. I also got the error dialog with:
    Overlay size is too small!\n(minimum 400MB required)
    When I ran the script in a terminal window, I noticed a shell error message complaining about numeric format in the line
    Code:
    let avail=total-ksize
    After changing the format of the calculated media size in MiB from floating point to integer, I could successfully finish the "remastering" of the Knoppix 7.0.5 EN DVD onto my flash medium using only the script, with a 7 GiB writable overlay filesystem. The flash medium only contained an empty (DOS FDISK-style) partition table before I used the script.
    /usr/bin/flash-knoppix2.patch:
    Code:
    --- /usr/bin/flash-knoppix2     2012-12-21 00:27:14.000000000 +0000
    +++ flash-knoppix2      2012-12-28 09:01:10.000000000 +0000
    @@ -364,7 +364,7 @@
       ERROR="${FLASH}:\n$MSG_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE"; bailout 2
      fi
     elif [ "p" = "$METHOD" ]; then
    - total="$(awk '{print ($1 / 2048)}' /sys/block/"${FLASH##*/}"/size 2>/dev/null)"
    + total="$(awk '{printf( "%d", ($1 / 2048) ) }' /sys/block/"${FLASH##*/}"/size 2>/dev/null)"
      ksize="$(du -sm --exclude='knoppix-data.*' . 2>/dev/null | awk '{size=$1}END{print size}')"
      let avail=total-ksize
      let avail-=200
    Please note the change from "print ..." to "printf( "%d, ... )"

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    I have tried with an 8GB fat32 partition (let me state here again that the drive in question is a verbatim tuff 'n' tiny 8GB thumb drive) and that failed with that message.
    Yes, that was my first step. Since the problem seems to be with the new flash-knoppix2 and likely some combination of my hardware/flash drive, where is the best place to report the issue? Is there a bugzilla for Knoppix?

  3. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The best place to report issue is
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/

    (but not: http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Bug_Pages)

  4. #14
    Member Blacksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    93
    Rerring to philo in post #10

    My step #5 is the normal warning that all data will be erased....
    I do it again and it still propose the same message
    No error for me

    #5
    sdd: Sony Storage Media (14904MB)

    Repartition and format device?
    CAUTION: All data will be erased!

    #6
    sdd: Sony Storage Media (14904MB)

    Do you really want to do this?
    WARNING: ALL DATA ON WILL BE ERASED!
    Last edited by Blacksimon; 12-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    Well, it's good (and bad, lol) to see I'm not the only one experiencing the issue. And it seems we all experience it in the same place. I, too, had run the script in terminal and was informed the error was on like line 369 or some where around that point and had glanced at the script briefly to see if it was malformed and it looked about right to me, I simply didn't know the calls it was using so I couldn't be certain. I will try that fix for the script that AMSTraute proposed.

  6. #16
    Member Blacksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    93
    assuming you have created an encrypted partition of 5GB and copied from the old knoppix-data.aes all the content, now I wonder ...
    having more available space on USB, this partition can be increased in size as it can usually be done with the file knoppix-data.aes?

    Yes, you could make it larger since the beginning .... but that's not the point .... it is curious to know if it is feasible ...

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    I am back and still confused.
    When I started this thread (post #1), I called for help when I could not use the Knoppix installer (experimental version) to install Knoppix 7.0.5 to a Sandisk Ultra 32GB with the 'p' option.
    I tokk another USB key, this time a Sandisk Ultra 16GB. The 'p' option worked like a breeze, giving me an ovverlay of almost 12GB.
    Does it mean that my Sandisk Ultra 32GB is rotten? Probably not, because it allowed me to install with the 'i' option. Note, howeer, that Knoppix at first refused to boot. I had the FAT32 partition checked by GParted and rebooted : all OK now and Knoppix gladly created the traditional 4GB persistent image.
    Where do I/we go from there?

  8. #18
    Member Blacksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    93
    Philo, try this:
    - syslinux -if /dev/sdx (replace sdx with your Sandisk Ultra 32GB)
    - Format FAT32 the whole USB with Gparted and set boot flag
    - Again the Flash-Knoppix2

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    Thanks Blacksimon. I tried this with my 32GB key:
    step #1
    I typed in a terminal : "ssyslinux -if /dev/sde" but it complained sayiing: 'invalid media signature (not a fat system?)".
    step #2
    I then create a small FAT32 partition at the beginning of the key, with GParted.
    and typed "syslinux -if /dev/sde1". The command was accepted.
    step #3
    I formated the whole key in FAT32 with GParted and added the boot flag.
    step #4
    Next I run knoppix installer with the 'p' option and again received the infamous error message that the "overlay is too small".
    So no joy so far.

    Note - Not better if the whole key was formated in FAT32 before doing step #1.

  10. #20
    Member Blacksimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    93
    try to remove partition and then recreate....i don't know

    do not give up....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00